• You are not logged in.

Colemak with Dvorak Punctuation

• Started by LightenS
    • 5 Replies:

Anyone has moved their punctuation to something like this?
    1 2 3 4 5 6 8 8 9 0 [ ]
    q w f p g j u y ; / =
    a r s t d h n e i o -
    x c v b z k m , . '

I have got this idea from Dvorak and want to know if anyone has did the same or something in similar to ease the pain in the pinky.
    Most of the time people talked about character but missed out on the punctuation. As a programmer, the right pin key is killing me with all those punctuation in a long session.
    I cannot use the wide layout either because it will be harder for my index to reach and I do not press the enter key with my pinky. The wide layout also make me missed 2 keys ( - and ') within touch distance.

Any suggestion on arranging those punctuation? Is there any reason why Dvorak put those punctuation in those spot?

The ANSI-Wide layout puts the apostrophe within comfortable distance, not sure what you're saying? Wide is very comfy. But the hyphen-minus is badly placed either way.

For Enter I recommend using Extend – I mainly use Ext+Space for Enter. With Extend and/or AltGr it's also quite simple to add for instance the hyphen-minus somewhere comfortable. Layers are nice! Using CapsLock as the Extend modifier may be problematic for you if your pinkies are weak, but maybe it's mostly your right pinky you're having trouble with? I find it very comfortable. If you don't, there's always the option of using a thumb Extend key like SteveP every so heartily recommends. ^_^

Using Extend with EPKL (formerly PKL) on Windows one can add macro-like strings like "type <p></p> then four left arrows placing your cursor between them". In EPKL there are sample mappings in the coding/strings Extend layers.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

LightenS said:

want to know if anyone has did the same or something in similar to ease the pain in the pinky.
    As a programmer, the right pin key is killing me with all those punctuation in a long session.

My solution to this is to define an alternative AltGr layer with all the most common programming characters, such as brackets, dash, underscore, etc, right under the home keys.

https://github.com/stevep99/keyboard-tw … ster/AltGr

It's much better that trying to re-arrange them between varying degrees of poor positions on the extreme right of the keyboard.

Last edited by stevep99 (06-Feb-2019 15:03:55)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

AltGr works best with the Wide mod though, just saying. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the solution. .  sadly, the right alt is really hard to press even with wide mode because of my short thumb.  It is better pressed with ring finger but I will missed out all the key to press with that.

I am using a kinesis edge and has a second layer accessed using the left thumb
    Currently, my fn layer is like this:
    the left side is all ctrl+ base key; I have switched the bottom row to top row so the copy and paste is done with F and P.
    the right side is mainly used for arrow and bracket. the H for { and ; for } plus the bottom row used for =" and ='
    this is why I moved the -_ to the home row as in Dvorak.
    However, I feel that it is not optimized, because I just put them randomly around the arrow keys. 

Other than that, I do want to have a num pad somewhere on the right side.  I can change one of the hotkey to extend though so will try that out

Last edited by LightenS (08-Apr-2019 22:52:40)
    LightenS said:

Looks like what you've got there is half of Extend. The left space bar makes for a good Extend/Fn key, but if I were you I would definitely be looking to implement a full Extend like DreymaR's. You'd still get your important functions like copy and paste, but don't underestimate the power of home-row modifiers!

That keyboard looks pretty good, and it being programmable makes it a particularly good choice. My one criticism would be, even though the space bar is split, they have kept it inordinately large - compare with the Matias Ergo Pro which I have, although it's sadly not programmable, it does have the best bottom row (space, alts) I've seen on a keyboard.

I have two separate extra layers: A "programmer/symbol" layer for characters, and an Extend layer for functions and navigation.

Last edited by stevep99 (07-Feb-2019 11:32:14)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.