• You are not logged in.

Tarmak progress

• Started by colemux
  • 32 Replies:

I seem a bit stuck at 50 wpm at the moment (as usual measured by Amphetype on "Heart of Darkness" via Performance -> "<ALL TEXTS>" -> and group by "sitting").  Can't believe it's been four and a half months since I started!  I think I need to concentrate more on deliberate practice on common words.

I'll come out of this with a surprising turn of speed on the word "Kurtz".

It occurs to me today that I should try some QWERTY sessions in Amphetype (using a different database to keep the scores separate) to give myself a comparable number.  I'm really not sure what that will be.  Maybe 80?

What I'd do at this point is have Amphetype make you a list of your problem words, based on what you've typed so far. Then edit out the names and other words you don't want to practice and generate lessons with the ones you want. Drilling common words that you need to drill can be quite beneficial. Also, drill the most common words as they keep cropping up.

If you need pointers on the hows, see my Amphetype BigBag topic.

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Jan-2020 23:32:47)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

What I'd do at this point is have Amphetype make you a list of your problem words, based on what you've typed so far.

I've started doing just this, thanks -- I'd forgotten about it.

Also, I've resolved to not check my speed stats daily, as I'd got into the habit of doing, because that tempts me to optimize for speed instead of deliberate practice and learning.  After two weeks I'll give myself a few typing tests as close as I can make them to how I've measured my speed in the past, and see how I'm doing.

Last edited by colemux (27-Jan-2020 22:51:50)

In periods, I've been simply "type-reading" books with Amphetype, with not-too-high accuracy and speed settings (96%, -20 WPM from my good speeds). That way, I got a lot of mileage in an interesting way and with little stress. It didn't help my speed much, but I got much better flow after a while. I don't bother grinding hard as I find it unfun.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Jan-2020 11:07:27)

I just discovered how much just the fact that I'm typing into Amphetype messes up my QWERTY.  So it's not only the keyboard I'm typing on that's a big cue for me!

Right now I'm typing this in QWERTY perfectly fluently with no errors.  Thirty seconds ago I was trying to type QWERTY in Amphetype (as a baseline against which to judge my Colemak) and totally failing to get much above 40 wpm -- sometimes more like 25 -- because of continual mixing up with Colemak key positions.

It amazes me how dramatic the difference is.

It doesn't worry me, I think it just shows up how, though the "switch" is in there somewhere, I don't yet have as good conscious control of it as I thought I did -- another thing that needs a bit of practice I suppose.  But as with typing QWERTY on my ergodox that I usually use just for Colemak, I'm not sure whether the effort is worthwhile: do I want to create layout interference for myself just to measure my QWERTY baseline speed in Amphetype?  Not sure.

Yeah, typing "Gestalt" is a thing: If you type a lot in a certain setting it becomes its own thing in a way. But that's not to say it doesn't influence what you do outside the Gestalt! And I think it's a relatively quick effort to make a small change, even though it'll feel strange at the first tries. In a way, that's what's behind the Tarmak progression and some of the small modular mods: You make a change, then everything is strange at first but since the change is small you'll pick up your speed again quite fast.

I decided despite Dreymar's words of encouragement not to push even the QWERTY-in-Amphetype thing as a baseline measurement and instead just keep going with the practice.

I seem to have broken my recent stasis after concentrating on practice for a few weeks without any speed tests -- only a few day's measurements but I reckon I'm at about 55 wpm now.  This time the I did my tests strictly on first attempts on unseen text only -- so that's likely a bigger improvement than the numbers suggest: previously, I'd been using the average of all my runs on each text -- and it takes me a bunch of runs to get to 98% accuracy typically.

So I think the suggestion to use the Amphetype feature to generate practice texts using words that you stumbled on previously was pretty effective.

Right now I have a thing where I type D all the time when I want a G.  I feel like that's actually a sign of getting a bit more comfortable with the layout -- I think relaxing a bit may have made me stop putting in the effort to reach for that key :-)

Onwards towards 65 wpm!  I'll get there eventually!

Oooor... the D-G thing is your subconscious telling you to try out Colemak-DH!  ♪~╰(*°▽°*)╯~♪