• You are not logged in.

Slash dots - typewriter pron ⋮

• Started by pinkyache
    • 3 Replies:

Which keys are missing in X layout? (There's probably a Dreymar layer for that.)

http://widespacer.blogspot.com/2016/03/ … werty.html

Some nice linkage there.

Last edited by pinkyache (05-Nov-2019 11:19:33)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Yeah, I have the … and ⋮ and ⋱ and ⋰ and ⋯ and ∵ and ∴ and ∷ now that you made me look. The trick is to know where! I had to consult my help images…! (ʘ_ʘ;)

…⋰⋮⋱…

(They were on the Science/Math and Dot-Above dead keys. E.g., {AltGr+. ;} produces ⋮ )

It's not true that a character for paragraph is never used, as that page claims. We use the pilcrow sign ¶ for that.

It was a really fun read, thanks!   ฅʕ •ᴥ•ʔฅ

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Nov-2019 13:48:37)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Interesting that M was on the middle row there. I wonder why it got moved to the bottom row. If it stayed on the home row it would have been better.

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

As you may have read in the QWERTY prehistory article [Kasuoka 2011] mentioned from the one linked to above, the layout started out as fairly boustrophedonic  with respect to the consonants on the middle and lower rows. So the stretches JKLM is merely a remnant of the original middle-row consonant run BCDFGHJKLM that continued with a reverse NPQRSTVWXZ on the lower row of the presumable 1870 version of the layout. As more characters were moved around due to feedback from users including telegraph transcribers, the M stayed in place for the 1873 version (at which point QWRTP had moved up and C down to make space for punctuation on the lower row) which was actually produced.

The final transition to a QWERTY quite like the one used today came with Remington's 1882 cooperation with Wyckoff, Seaman & Benedict it seems. Exactly why M, C and X were moved in that layout isn't known I think. The early Teletype terminal didn't have room for M on the home row though, so that may be a hint.

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Nov-2019 14:32:30)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***