• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • GMK Pulse is MY first GMK set with a colevrak kit. Thanks Mito & Drop

GMK Pulse is MY first GMK set with a colevrak kit. Thanks Mito & Drop

• Started by rominronin
    • 19 Replies:

...and it looks glorious on my upcoming TSUKA60 PCB, compatible with standard 60% cases:

RZ3z6HO.jpg

The two 'Alt' keys are actually shift keys. The 'Tab' in the middle is actually a backspace. I'm using the (DreymaR) bag of tricks with that Fn switch on the left of home-row, but the backspace in the middle is useful when mouse-deleting stuff

I don't have a specific function for that 'Shift' in the centre yet, I might just use it as a second enter (again, for the one-hand-and-a-mouse functionality). I'm open to ideas though ;)

The space is actually a space-fn, activating a shift layer for symbols and f1-f12, among other media functions etc.

indulgent imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/NyZJEfG

Looking good! ♪~╰(*°▽°*)╯~♪

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

This is what typewriters should have been like from the beginning. It looks like there's a 25% offset on each row, which would allowed the typewriter levers to operate properly (except the number row which would have needed modifying).

Would be quite curious to try a keyboard like this. My only issue would be the huge single space bar though.

Last edited by stevep99 (30-Jan-2020 15:59:01)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

stevep99 said:

Would be quite curious to try a keyboard like this. My only issue would be the huge single space bar though.

Well, if that's your ONLY issue... ;)

The supported bottom rows of the PCB I'm going to make are as follows:

WSHJqj1.png

What about 3×2.5u for the space bar area? It'd look nice with the center column having a slightly widening "fundament", while making the middle key just a little bit more accessible. I'm pretty sure 2.5u is plenty enough width for a space bar, really. But I don't know key caps, maybe 2.5u keys aren't a thing for all I know.

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Jan-2020 11:11:03)

DreymaR said:

I'm pretty sure 2.5u is plenty enough width for a space bar, really.

The spacebars on my Ergo Pro are 2.5u each, and I can confirm it's plenty (but they are non-standard). It would also depend on the positioning though - as you say the having a small middle button might still be hard to reach.

That's really my problem now, I have become spoilt by the pretty much perfect bottom row on my current keyboard and so can't help but find fault on other keyboards, even when they look good like this one. 

Fair play on the range of options for the bottom row, it's good to see different configurations being possible.

Last edited by stevep99 (31-Jan-2020 14:43:01)

Actually... pushing the Alt keys to the sides may not be the best of ideas given how much we like to use them. So I'd like to see for instance 2/2.5/2 u then. The remaining 1u could be taken in by the GUI/Win keys if possible?

I realize that my old-school IBM/Unicomp board has a 5.5u space bar and my ThinkPad's space bar is 5u. I really like not having to move the thumb too much back and forth between Space and AltGr.

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Jan-2020 16:01:53)

I recently got a second prototype in, to try the alternative bottom rows. I decided I don't like the off-centre bottom row as much as I thought I would. Also, the board just looks UGLY with the off-centre design in general, so I'm going to drop it.

The feedback on this thread got me thinking about the bottom rows further though. I didn't go with 2.5u keycaps because they're very rare and almost impossible to get hold of. But here's what the board looks like with the readily available 2.75u keycaps option (2.75/2/2.75):

tfpqq27.jpg

Here's the same shot with my left hand at home row, and my thumb at neutral, extended and contracted positions:

AXD5YOv.jpg
    aoatxOv.jpg
    yaVLT26.jpg

From the images above, and from my personal experience with this board so far, the size of the space keys are fine, as is the central key.

But I agree that pushing the modifiers away from the centre is less than optimal. That, combined with the fact that the I really miss the row of arrow keys when using a split space variant, led me to update the PCB compatibility to the following (the key outcome is the 4th bottom row alternative):

qJyelks.png

Now there really is not much room left for any other alternatives, I need to see if I can even fit these on the PCB without serious compatibility issues.

With the 4th alternative, you could argue that the split should be composed of 1.75u/2u/1.75u keys, but 1.75u keys with the bottom row profile are also not very common, and would be hard to get a hold of, especially considering this set already uses 2x 1.75u keys on the home row profile. That's why I went with the 2u/1u/2u split.

Last edited by rominronin (14-Apr-2020 15:57:25)

The last one would be my favourite just because more thumb keys is better.

Would this be a possibility... divide that 7u into 4x1.25u and 1x2u...  Or even 4x1.25u and 2x1u...?

stevep99 said:

The last one would be my favourite just because more thumb keys is better.

Would this be a possibility... divide that 7u into 4x1.25u and 1x2u...  Or even 4x1.25u and 2x1u...?

You mean like the last row here?:
    paeIdKz.png

It's getting crowded down there, so until I've tried it out, I cannot say for sure either way. But that certainly gives you an optimum number of thumb keys.

The one thing that I'm pretty sure won't be an issue would be to split the centre 2u key into 2x 1u keys.

I'll try it and let you know how it works out.

Last edited by rominronin (14-Apr-2020 19:48:17)

It's certainly beautiful!  (✿◠‿◠)

rominronin said:

It's getting crowded down there, so until I've tried it out, I cannot say for sure either way. But that certainly gives you an optimum number of thumb keys.

I'll try it and let you know how it works out.

Great! I think the "getting crowded" look is only because people are so used to huge inefficient space bars that anything else looks odd at first. But look at the popularity of layouts like Ergodox and Planck. People seem to love having the extra keys down there once they get used to them, especially in compact keyboards.

stevep99 said:

Great! I think the "getting crowded" look is only because people are so used to huge inefficient space bars that anything else looks odd at first.

Just for clarification, I meant the number of PCB footprints required to support so many alternatives is getting crowded - I can not say until I open the PCB file and add the suggested bottom row if it's possible to fit it without the overlaps posing an issue ;)

If there's a problem with too many keys on the bottom row I'd rather replace the 1u keys at the corners with 1.25u or 1.5u ones. Apart from the three usual modifiers, they're only useful for special stuff anyway. Special stuff can be tucked away in layers instead. For optimal layering, more centrally placed thumb keys is a great boon.

Perhaps something like your #3 bottom row, but with 5×1.5u in the middle? Not sure, it looks and probably feels nice if the middle key is 2u. (1.5+1.25+2+1.25+1.5)u maybe?

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Apr-2020 09:28:07)

DreymaR said:

If there's a problem with too many keys...

I managed to fit everything in. I ordered a new prototype so I will soon know if it works practically as well. I realised I can use my AEK II keycaps with this bottom row, so they are prepared and ready!:

jrkAwa7.jpg

Thing is though, you don't want arrow keys at the lower corners. You want them on the home row courtesy of an Extend layer! Trust me on that.

DreymaR said:

Thing is though, you don't want arrow keys at the lower corners. You want them on the home row courtesy of an Extend layer! Trust me on that.

I prefer both. I already have an adaption of your big bag of tricks - the left-most key on the home row is the 'tricks' layer.

But no matter how optimised the home row is, there will always be times when your hands are not there, and you need to just tap one or two keys.

If it's arrow keys you need, it's just too convenient NOT to have dedicated keys available in that situation.

Don't you ever lean back on your desk to read an article? I love just reaching with one hand and tapping down to read over a page.

Best of both worlds...!

When I lean back to read, I use Ext+W/R to scroll. One hand only, for extra comfort I use the middle finger for W/R. And I can do more too, with the one hand.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Apr-2020 22:07:21)

rominronin said:

Don't you ever lean back on your desk to read an article? I love just reaching with one hand and tapping down to read over a page.

Another nice option for this is to install the Vimium plugin.

I really like the new bottom row layout. I'd say it's my favourite of the split space options. Having an extra key on both sides of your thumbs is very nice.

https://imgur.com/a/xukDHlO

The PCB will come in a couple of weeks, so I'lll get to see how well the multiple overlapping options play with each other.

• Index
      • General
      • GMK Pulse is MY first GMK set with a colevrak kit. Thanks Mito & Drop