• You are not logged in.

A couple of questions

• Started by jc0481
    • 2 Replies:

I have posted this on the technical side thinking what I write here would fit best here. On switching keyboards both physically and by software. First physically.

1. Can most keyboards keys be popped out and changed to the Colemak layout and if not all keyboards can be switched. Which keyboards should I stay away from that can't be changed physically?

Now software.

2. Regarding the beta software it does not switch over the caps lock key to a backspace. Do you have to do a registry hack for that? Can that software be put on a flash drive and do a quick switch to Colemak when you are a new computer? How long does it take to switch from Dvorak to Colemak?? I have been a Dvorak user for about a year and I agree with the flaws mentioned here. Thank you

JC

1. I haven't seen a keyboard that the keys couldn't be switched and if there is a keyboard like that, you can just buy a set of stickers and put it on your keyboard

2. there are many ways to switch to Colemak layout. One portable method is to save on a usb drive a autohotkey .exe file and run it when you need to use Colemak. I uploaded the stand alone exe file that I use on other computers, if you wish you can get the file from here: http://s.ittips.net/Colemak.exe It's simple, double click to run and use Colemak.... to stop Colemak, just quit by right clicking on the green H in the task bar.
    For more permanent method, you can install the Colemak package that you can get from Download section of this website.

1) See my topic https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188

Not all keyboards will be successful. Some have different bases for the middle row, making it a real hassle changing the bases - if at all possible. And most stationary keyboards have different key heights on the different rows, so that if you change them around you'll end up with a bumpy board.

2) The caps lock switch is smart, especially when you're new to the layout and need the backspace a lot. But I don't use it on all my Colemak machines, and also find myself using the old Backspace location most of the time anyway. I try to just not make many errors so the problem will be a small one, and I think I'm fairly accurate now.

There is a registry remapping in the install package(s). You can either run the old install to get that done by the exe., or simply find the Caps to Backspace.reg file and install it with right-click -> Merge. This is the thing to do if you're master of your computer and won't have family members clamouring over the loss of their CapsLock (for which you could always chide them, of course).

Switching from Dvorak is individual. I've done it, and I believe it to be more tricky than going from QWERTY. At the same time, the "switching skills" you learnt going from QWERTY to Dvorak in the first place will still be with you so it's not easy to answer what your experience will be. Let us know afterwards!  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***