• You are not logged in.

EurKEY Colemak Version

• Started by Handrix
    • 9 Replies:

I guess that a lot of Colemak users type mainly in English but other languages as well. Same for me but I don't just write in English and my mothertongue. So my question is, is there anything like a EurKEY Version for Colemak or something similar? Perfect would be a Colemak-DH (English Layout) with the Layer of EurKEY added. But I guess that's just a dream because there is no other EurKEY Layout mentioned on their Website. But is there something similar, because a single Colemak-spanish and a single Colemak-french wouldn't be the solution for me...
    (EurKEY is a layout that tries to unite most european languages in one single board but it uses the US-QWERTY as base)

Are you aware that standard Colemak has similar multilingual capabilities?

Last edited by ghen (15-Sep-2020 21:25:20)

Oh wow, that's really cool I didn't knew that, thank you!

Standard Colemak is multilingual, but not nearly as advanced as my Colemak[eD] variant. It's covered in the BigBag although the full depth of it, sadly, isn't documented. I've been inspired by other projects (such as Bépo) and put a lot of work into it.

I can type nearly anything, such as Vietnamese and Pan-African, with relative ease.

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Sep-2020 11:20:06)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you, that seems a lot more intuitiv. The only thing I perhaps have to adjust is how to type the ñ. Because I need this relatively often. Because nearly in every formal mail in spanish I need it in the first row...

But thank you very much!

Yes, I just made an alternative Spanish layout for EPKL in which you use AltGr+naeiou for ñáéíóú. It was for a user at the Discord. My standard Spanish/LatAm layout uses the bracket keys for accent and grave dead keys, and the ISO key (LSGT, VK_102) for ñ. Maybe one of those can be of help for you? I fully realize that typing the odd special or accented symbol is quite different from using it all the time in a language!

In Dutch I just need vowels with diaeresis (ëïöü) and é, plus some occasional extra characters like ç or è for French loanwords.  So the standard Colemak AltGr mappings are good enough for me, particularly because I have them on every Linux system by default without any customisations.  For more advanced stuff I just use Linux compose sequences, which are extremely powerful as well.

Indeed, Compose is very powerful. I've thought about including it in EPKL. It'd be very cool if EPKL could use a Linux Compose table directly, without (m)any conversions...

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Sep-2020 12:57:08)

Handrix said:

I guess that a lot of Colemak users type mainly in English but other languages as well. Same for me but I don't just write in English and my mothertongue. So my question is, is there anything like a EurKEY Version for Colemak or something similar? Perfect would be a Colemak-DH (English Layout) with the Layer of EurKEY added. But I guess that's just a dream because there is no other EurKEY Layout mentioned on their Website. But is there something similar, because a single Colemak-spanish and a single Colemak-french wouldn't be the solution for me...
    (EurKEY is a layout that tries to unite most european languages in one single board but it uses the US-QWERTY as base)

Hi
    I Have botched version that might be of use to you.
    What I've done -and im not a layout developer and have no knowledge of this- is, I've moved the alphabetic letters of the Swiss German QWERTZ layout to match the Colemak layout and moved back the "Umlaut" keys a key to the right so that could keep the O's position. (image attached via a Imgur Link below)
    The reason for doing so is that I couldn't find a version with the "Umlaut" and french "éàè" keys in the short period of time that I researched about the Colemak layout And the other reason was that it wasnt too different to what I was used to. The other reason was is that wouldn't have to relearn the position of special characters. I hope this edit isn't too bad, I didn't really do any testing because I've just started learning this layout. But hey, maybe you are!

Appologys to everyone who thinks ive commited a crime. If you have an oppinion about it, feel free to share it.
    I'm curious of trying out the EURKEY version as well now when the Mac version gets released.
    And if anybody knows of a better version of what ive tried to achieve please leave a link to it or the name of the layout and it creator. :)

Kindest regards
    rhotace

https://imgur.com/a/hlruluZ

Last edited by rhotace (30-Jan-2022 23:24:29)

Kindest regards

A crime? No. Good layers? Also no, sorry. You have a lot of pinky work there.

Take a look at my locale solutions in the Big Bag, and also the possibility of using special dead keys which I'm using quite a lot now.

( Θώθ)  ~(  See "DreymaR's Big Bag Of Keyboard Tricks"  )
      https://dreymar.colemak.org

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Jan-2022 13:42:46)