• You are not logged in.

EurKEY Colemak Version

• Started byHandrix
    • 7Replies:

I guess that a lot of Colemak users type mainly in English but other languages as well. Same for me but I don't just write in English and my mothertongue. So my question is, is there anything like a EurKEY Version for Colemak or something similar? Perfect would be a Colemak-DH (English Layout) with the Layer of EurKEY added. But I guess that's just a dream because there is no other EurKEY Layout mentioned on their Website. But is there something similar, because a single Colemak-spanish and a single Colemak-french wouldn't be the solution for me...
    (EurKEY is a layout that tries to unite most european languages in one single board but it uses the US-QWERTY as base)

Are you aware that standard Colemak has similar multilingual capabilities?

Last edited byghen (15-Sep-2020 21:25:20)

Oh wow, that's really cool I didn't knew that, thank you!

Standard Colemak is multilingual, but not nearly as advanced as my Colemak[eD] variant. It's covered in the BigBag although the full depth of it, sadly, isn't documented. I've been inspired by other projects (such as Bépo) and put a lot of work into it.

I can type nearly anything, such as Vietnamese and Pan-African, with relative ease.

Last edited byDreymaR (16-Sep-2020 11:20:06)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you, that seems a lot more intuitiv. The only thing I perhaps have to adjust is how to type the ñ. Because I need this relatively often. Because nearly in every formal mail in spanish I need it in the first row...

But thank you very much!

Yes, I just made an alternative Spanish layout for EPKL in which you use AltGr+naeiou for ñáéíóú. It was for a user at the Discord. My standard Spanish/LatAm layout uses the bracket keys for accent and grave dead keys, and the ISO key (LSGT, VK_102) for ñ. Maybe one of those can be of help for you? I fully realize that typing the odd special or accented symbol is quite different from using it all the time in a language!

In Dutch I just need vowels with diaeresis (ëïöü) and é, plus some occasional extra characters like ç or è for French loanwords.  So the standard Colemak AltGr mappings are good enough for me, particularly because I have them on every Linux system by default without any customisations.  For more advanced stuff I just use Linux compose sequences, which are extremely powerful as well.

Indeed, Compose is very powerful. I've thought about including it in EPKL. It'd be very cool if EPKL could use a Linux Compose table directly, without (m)any conversions...

Last edited byDreymaR (17-Sep-2020 12:57:08)