• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • A hardware Colemak board from WASD Keyboards

A hardware Colemak board from WASD Keyboards

• Started by DanJacobs
    • 7 Replies:

I recently ordered a custom-printed keyboard from WASD Keyboards. I thought you'd all be interested, as I've printed the entire Colemak layout on it.

This doesn't just show the usual letters, but also everything you can get by holding Shift, Alt Gr, and Shift+Alt Gr. So it's incredibly useful for multilingual typing.

You can see the result in the attached image!

Attachments:

A more close up picture is attached to this post.

Attachments:

Looks great. And probably effective at scaring other people away from using it too!

Last edited by stevep99 (18-Sep-2020 14:38:03)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

Looking really good! But I see you won't be improving the vanilla Colemak AltGr mappings any time soon.  ( ͡~  ͜ʖ ͡°)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

Looking really good! But I see you won't be improving the vanilla Colemak AltGr mappings any time soon.  ( ͡~  ͜ʖ ͡°)

What improvements would you propose to make?

The only thing I probably should have added was a dead key for the missing comma-under diacritic used in Romanian. But other than that, I rather like the mappings. I’m used to them too!

Last edited by DanJacobs (20-Sep-2020 19:20:53)

I wouldn't propose, I've done it. It's all described in the BigBag linked to in my signature!

Cmk-ANSI-eD_96d-FShui.png?raw=1
        The Colemak [edition DreymaR] layout, using different lv3-4 mappings from Shai's default Colemak.
        Shown on an ANSI keyboard with dead key emphasis (golden) and "FingerShui" color-coded proposed fingering.

I combined the comma-below and ogonek dead keys into one, as they work on different letters (șț & ąųęįǫ).

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Sep-2020 13:52:31)

Interesting. I must admit I hadn't notice your signature, as it seems signatures only show up on desktop browsers and not mobile browsers.

Your changed layout looks like it focuses more on *symbols* rather than ease of access to accented characters. Which probably makes sense for a lot of people.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the standard Colemak mappings. They make it pretty easy to type in French as well as in English, though I realise if I wanted to optimise specifically for this there are many improvements I could make.

That said... at some point, there are diminishing returns. Colemak works well enough right now that having learned it 12 years ago, I don't fancy re-learning it now. ;)

The AltGr mappings are focused on unaccented symbols yes, as the many dead keys take care of the accents. It makes more sense to me, as you couldn't fit for instance all of ÀàÁáÄäÅåÂâǍǎĄą in on logical AltGr mappings anyway, and that's only one of the vowels and not all the accents!

For typing French at any scale beyond the occasional word or phrase, in my opinion you'll need a dedicated localized layout anyway. I provide that for a bunch of languages in a way that lets you type those languages while keeping the main layout intact, while the standard Colemak has no solutions for this.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Oct-2020 11:48:31)

• Index
      • General
      • A hardware Colemak board from WASD Keyboards