- New member
- Reputation: 0
Hello people of the community. :)
I have been looking to adopt to Colemak into my keyboards usage. I switched to it first on my mobile (without any mods as none is readily available on GBoards other than vanilla layout) primarily to see if I can get used to the layout. And a few days back I came across DreymaR's BBKT and decided to switch on my linux OS too.
My setup: ANSI layout on a HP Omen running Pop OS 20.04.
I have applied "pc104caw-zqu" which I assume is wide, curl mod with Z in the middle. I have switched my key caps too to help adapt faster. Most of the functionality is available but there are a few issues I haven't been able to iron out. I have looked through the forum but the solutions either don't fit my setup or I get confused with the terminology used. I understand some functionality is not yet available in Linux while some others are probably not been properly setup by me.
What I have done so far:
Cloned git repo
2. Executed install and setup scripts.
3. Under Linux's 'keyboard setting' have changed to colemak with wide mod.
4. Added "sudo bash ~/src/git-clones/BigBagKbdTrixXKB/setxkb.sh" into .bashrc but I have to manually execute the script after first login to get the extend layer. Either the command I have used is wrong or since I have set fish as my default shell the command doesn't run. Not sure which.
Would appreciate any help for these:
1. On boot login screen, QWERTY is enabled with wide mod enabled. Switches to Colemak after the first login. Can I switch to colemak before typing the password?
2. Extend layer needs to be manually enabled after each reboot by running the setup script. How to make it persistent?
3. Only the directional keys, backspace/delete and cut/copy/paste work on extend layer. Even Q for ESC doesn't work. I really wanted that, as previously I was using caps as ESC. Reaching the corner ESC means I constantly loose the home rows easily without the homing bumps.
4. Does mouse and other extend keys not work on Linux? Do I need to setup anything else for it?
5. How to customize the layers and even the modifiers? Not sure of which file to edit. I want to change the middle column to have brackets by default as currently it types Å Æ. I only type in English and I want to make programming easier. So I want to customize the layers to my needs. Also maybe the extend key to bottom row or simply switch Win key and alt. Altering AltGr to have programming symbols might better suit me. Is there an existing layout I can use for programming?
I am trying to learn how to setup properly to better adapt to the layout. My goal is to build either the USB-USB converter or a split mech that I can program to have colemak and the extend functionality so as to easily carry around a plug and play setup instead of setting it up especially on a office device once I get a job. Till then practising and adapting with the built in keeb.