• You are not logged in.

Big Bag Extend bug using Chrome

• Started by stevep99
    • 2 Replies:

This strange bug with Extend has started happening today.  This is on Ubuntu 20.04, and only seems to happen in Chrome. I have tried using Firefox, Geany and Terminal and found no problems with any of those.

The problem is this.

Pressing Ext-t produces a "t" character. Similarly, pressing Ext-s produces an "s". Other Extend keys are working OK, for example arrow keys, copy/paste, etc. So the bug  seems to be affecting the Extend modifiers only.

However, the modifier itself is still working, i.e Ext-t is still registering Ctrl, despite the "t" appearing.

So this sequence:  hold Extend, hold t, tap n, release t, release Extend.
    produces this result: "t" appears on screen, then cursor (correctly) moves back one word.

I'm not using kmonad or anything else that could be interfering AFAIK. I tried disabling all extensions in Chrome, also no effect.

I did do an OS update yesterday so maybe Chrome got updated and now has this bug?  Chrome version is 86.0.4240.75.

Obviously this is annoying as it affects any typing you do it text boxes on Chrome. The workaround is to use Firefox.

I'm assuming no-one else has encountered this yet, but I'm putting it here in case anyone else experiences it.

Last edited by stevep99 (12-Oct-2020 11:08:13)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Similarly to the Google Sheets bug, it seems that Google is delving ever deeper into the system. We may have to escape to KMonad or something else if this goes on?

Does KMonad fix it?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yes, the problem does not appear if using Kmonad.

It's good that we now have kmonad as a fallback, but I'd prefer to stick with the tried and tested xkb method for the time being at least.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.