• You are not logged in.

Sharing My Experience

• Started by sugengz
    • 2 Replies:

Hi, my name is Sugeng from Jakarta, Indonesia.

This is my day 2 using Colemak layout. Typing this post with new layout.

I took typing ciass when I was in Elementary 6 using mechanical type writer machine back then.
    Throughout my life time, I am a moderate typist for school task and recently for typing my script for video blog or short articles.
    I type in average of 2 to 3 hour daily.

Previously I used ANSI QWERTY layout with average of 65 wpm (English) and 70 wpm (Indonesian) tested using 10fastfingers.com
    Now learning to use Coiemak layout, training myself using colemak.academy website.
    As per this post, 9 wpm (English) and 12 wpm (Indonesian).

I use Mac OS X, with mechanical keyboard Keychron K4 tactile switches.
    I also remaps the layout using Karabiner-Elements, with standard layout Colemak, modify only left_shift + right_shift to emulate toggle capslock.

Since I lived and worked with two languages, curious how this new layout could improve both simultaneously.

Thats it for the first post.

Will update as I progress.

Thank You for reading and welcome me.

Welcome to the world of Colemak. I don't know how good it is for Indonesian, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot better than Qwerty.

P.S. I'd recommend Monkeytype over Colemak Academy.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

According to https://www.sttmedia.com/characterfrequency-indonesian the most common letters are ANEITK. Most typists these days have to think about how much they use English vs their native script. My take on locale variants is to add and tweak as little as possible to keep the efficiency of Colemak for English, while allowing a good experience of typing the other language(s).

Unless your left pinky is particularly weak, I'd try keeping the A in place for now. NEIT are in good positions in Colemak, so the only remaining question is K. This letter has an unnaturally good position in the QWERTY layout for typing in English†, so of course it's put away a bit in Colemak. On the other hand, unless you're using a matrix-type keyboard I don't find the new K position hard at all! Try it out a bit. To avoid same-finger bigrams like NK/KN, I recommend typing N with the middle finger in those situations. Similarly, if you need to type KE/EK a lot, use the ring finger for E for those bigrams. This takes a little training to get used to, but it's a lot more comfy.

———————————————
    †:  (due to the layout's history of being partly alphabetic on the home row which shows in the sequence D_FGH_JKL)

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Nov-2020 11:01:46)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***