• You are not logged in.

Grave accent

• Started by LeoIt
    • 5 Replies:

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum, I am Italian and I'm trying to learn typing with colemak layout, but in italiano we use a lot letters with accents like: à è ì ò ù. So I need to be able to type those letters, but watching the official website, it says that the combination is ALT GR + R + [vowel] , but trying this combination, it doesn't work, any suggestion?

Buongiorno!  ∩(◕‿◕。)∩~♪

My suggestion is to try out the Italian layout(s) in my EPKL program. It can be a little frustrating to set up at first, but provides a lot of power. I have one suggestion for Italian (just named "It) that puts the needed letters on bracket keys, another which puts them on AltGr+AEIOU ("ItAlt") and the last suggestion uses dead key on brackets ("Lat").

Let me know if you're interested. Also, if you want to talk and discuss things I suggest the Colemak Discord as it's a nice chatty place.  ( のvの) c[_]

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Nov-2020 16:58:48)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi,
    I have the same LeoIt's problem. I installed the Colemak keyboard layout, but at the moment the only combinations that work are: "á" (AltGR-a, but "á" is not used in italian) and "é" (AltGR-e). For à, è, ì, ò, ù, as I understand, I should press AltGr+[r] + the letter I need to accent (i.e. AltGR+r, then "a"), but it doesn't work.
    Something wrong in my interpretation?
    DreymaR, you talk about your EPKL program. Could it "solve" the problem by defining a custom layout?
    Thank you in advance

Last edited by BlueDeeder (14-Nov-2020 10:08:40)

Yes, indeed, EPKL not only can solve the problem but has premade Italian layouts. These are made as devised by me and people at the Discord though, so they aren't the same as Shai's standard. I prefer making one variant for Italian and another for Spanish etc, to make them more optimal. It's more work but well worth it I think.

This is one example: The ItAlt layout for an ANSI keyboard, showing the AltGr shift state mappings (note àèìòù on AltGr+aeiou):
    Cmk-ANS-ItAlt_s3_EPKL.png

My original solution for Latin languages uses more accessible dead keys for the grave (and acute and other) accent instead. My old Italian solution just put the letters àèìòùé on accessible positions. You're free to pick one or the other.

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Nov-2020 15:49:16)

Ok, found the problem.
    I and probably LeoIt were still thinking in QWERTY modality. When the guide writes altGR+r + [vowel], I wrongly thought "r" in QWERTY. Obviously, the guide talks of "r" in Colemak, so (QWERTY talking) I should press altGR+s + [vowel].

ლ( ʘ▽ʘ)ლ~ORLY