• You are not logged in.

Ortholinear Colemak?

• Started by Writer
    • 4 Replies:

Hello everyone, I am new here and I hope this was not posted elsewhere. Long story short, I am fed up with qwerty and have decided to ditch it for an ortholinear Colemak keyboard. I am unsure about a few things regarding the board itself.

I am looking for a fully programmable ortholinear keyboard that would allow me to switch to Colemak easily, ideally with a 75% layout, give or take. Is there such a thing? If I rearrange the key caps, would they look weird (many times they have different shapes) or are these keyboards made to be rearranged physically? Is it too much to ask for bluetooth as well? If they don’t have Bluetooth is there any way around it?

Thank you so much!

I suggest you ask this in the #hardware channel of the Colemak Discord! That's where the ortho crowd hangs out these days, for the most part.  (✿◠‿◠)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Alright thanks, does anyone have a link to said discord server? I quite like the idea of an ortho crowd :)

There are lots of programmable boards out there, some are a DIY/hobby kits, but there are some mainstream keyboards too albeit with limited form factor options. You can also get USB remap dongles so you can use any keyboard. There are plenty of decent options to remap in software too.

You shouldn't rearrange keycaps if your keys have different profiles. Either get set of keycaps there are same-profile, get a Colemak set, or use blanks.

The discord is here.

Good luck in your Colemak journey.

Last edited by stevep99 (14-Dec-2020 15:57:09)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

It's called a Colevrak set for sculpted caps. They support several layouts, most often including Dvorak, Colemak, Colemak-DH and that misguided "poor man's DH" one.

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Dec-2020 10:36:24)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***