• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • A new typing test created by a Colemak fan

A new typing test created by a Colemak fan

• Started by ryanheise
  • 50 Replies:

Haha, yeah, I saw that yesterday and I was just thinking: "D'oh.." No wonder we're stuck with QWERTY. I guess most people aren't even aware of it...
Hmm, by the way, anyone else typing on a 'dell' keyboard layout around here?

ryanheise said:

If your wrists are hurting, it may indicate that you are moving your fingers too much (e.g. which can happen if your fingers have trouble deciding which key to press next, and hence move around a lot or get stressed). [...]

Also, it is important to be aware of your weak words so that you know to slow down for those words. Hopefully, adding statistics to the applet will make it easier to identify those weak words.

I don't think that's my problem. I don't move the fingers around much except when I mistype. It might be that I need to train my accuracy - maybe by not overhurrying. I have no idea what my weak words would be - I'm not even a native English speaker and haven't given it much consideration.

What I did just find out though, is that I may have been leaning too heavily on my hands. I tried lifting the hands slightly instead of the usual "lazy" position, and it felt somewhat easier on both the wrists and the typing flow even if it was a bit more work keeping the hands up. Letting the wrists remain fairly straight must be a good idea. I should probably get a better keyboard that facilitates a better typing position, but I'm not sure what would help the most.

I do use those stands on the back that angle the board slightly towards me. Maybe that isn't a great idea after all, since it makes the wrists more angled? This never occurred to me before. I'll try lowering them for a little while, just to feel what the difference is like.

I have become much better at using the opposite shift key. It was only a bad habit, and it's on its way back already.

We should have a Typing Clinic on the forums, where the experts could teach the noobs some hot tricks.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Ryan, another great feature for your – addictive – typing test would be the ability to display the approximate finger distance it has taken to type the text [among the other statistics of course] ",
This should highlight a great advantage cmk has over qwerty, as it is less the speed increase than the increase in comfort that makes cmk so... gooood..!

vilem said:

Ryan, another great feature for your – addictive – typing test would be the ability to display the approximate finger distance it has taken to type the text [among the other statistics of course] ",

Something like this would be cool. Although since each person has typed a different number of keys, I probably should display meters *per minute*.

This should highlight a great advantage cmk has over qwerty, as it is less the speed increase than the increase in comfort that makes cmk so... gooood..!

Sure Colemak is more comfortable, but speed is the true test and will win people over more easily ;-)

No need to go with either-or: You're doing a great job of contesting for the top position on your highscore list - some impressive typing there, Ryan! - but that's no reason to not show how the layout is more ergonomic as well. Meters per minute sounds fun and cool. I think such a meter would be called a 'digitodometer'!

But how can the program possibly calculate the distance?  The program cannot determine what layout and keyboard (many of them change the key distances to ergonomic effect) the user used.

Of course a 'standard' or average keyboard has to be used. The figure for meters per minute is just a theoretic one anyway, to show the potential advantages over other layouts.
The layout used by the typist can be determined from a drop down list of possible layouts. QWERTY, International QWERTY, Dvorak and Colemak should suffice. Maybe some international and/or ergonomic versions too. [Such as norwegian QWERTY or NEO.]

You'd only need to show a comparison of the distance for three standard layouts: QWERTY (US will do nicely, since the text samples are all in English), Dvorak and Colemak. All on standard boards.

On the other hand, making a selection box with only a few choices (e.g., QWERTY, Dvorak, Colemak, Other) would limit the silliness that people are entering into that field now.  :)

If people want to know their digitodometry for other layouts/boards, they'll have to use a JAVA applet like the one on this site for it.

For something a little different, I though it might be cool to have an animation of the fingers so that we can visualise finger movement. The results are quite interesting:

http://www.ryanheise.com/typing-test/beta.html

There are quite noticeable differences between QWERTY and Colemak but the differences between Colemak and Dvorak are less noticeable, and therefore I might think about what other visual indicators I can add. Some ideas (not necessarily helpful):

- An ouch indicator - display "OWCH!" (ouch?) whenever there is a stressful finger combination (whatever that might be - I'm thinking long finger stretches are owchy). This could be useful in comparing the ergonomics.
- Display "OWCH!" whenever a finger has to move too quickly from its last position to its next position.
- Make the colour of a finger turn red as it becomes more heavily used. This will allow you to see which are the hot fingers. For Colemak, this will be mostly the index fingers.

That looks great! I watched the replay of your typing and it seemed to do something strange around where you typed "5.75%", with the left hand index finger return? Check it out.

I think that "OWCH!" would be overmuch and a bit out of style. A simple colour coding of the finger dots should perform the same thing more smoothly - green when resting or on home position, amber for the moderate stretches and red for, e.g., the number or (Colemak) JBZ stretches (corner positions); I'd mark most of the left-hand lower row red myself but ymmv. For the bad stretches the dot could become bigger as it turns red, too, to produce visually the "ouch!" effect you're after.

The finger stress indicator is a good idea too. I'd make a row of dots or little finger icons below the animated layout, with all fingers, say, a happy relaxed green at the outset and turning gradually towards, e.g., amber-yellow-red-purple-white as they travel. I'd use a cold-hot palette, but it seems from experiences on this very forum that not all non-physicists/non-medical-personel are familiar with that colour coding. Maybe a legend bar on one side could show the coding to make it clear; maybe that legend bar could also perform as a rising overall stress indicator?

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Nov-2007 09:05:32)

• Shai
  • Administrator

This is really great stuff!
I think it's perfect as is, and I don't think a stress-meter is needed. I'd like to keep things simple and objective, without adding extra interpretation of those results.

A few suggestions:
* It should be possible to view the replay without submitting a high-score. I think this is quite important, because I'm going to add the test to the Colemak homepage as a way to convince people. And people that aren't proud of their typing skills, won't be able to see the difference between the keyboard layouts.
* In the replay it would be nice if people could click on the buttons as well as pressing the keys for switching between keyboard layouts.

Shai, if you click someone's name in the highscore list you can watch their replay. No?

• Shai
  • Administrator

I meant your own instant replay of what you just typed.

Yes, I agree with Shai. I was interested in looking at what my typing did, but then I realized it only works for replay of the top of the list.  So this quite uninteresting to me.  If you are just visualizing those doing 120+ wpm all it shows to everyone else is what the distance numbers and frequency maps already show for the layouts.  What would be interesting is to see a visualizing what my typing looks like.

Okay Shai, I understand now and I agree - it's nice to see an "instant replay" without submitting what you just did, if you want to. Have you noticed that Ryan's already implemented it? I found a small keyboard button on my instant replay and pressed it, and then selected Colemak on the line below the layout. It seems that the applet remembers which layout I had the last time I watched a replay?

Samurai: As you probably know, you can visualize ANY highscore on the list, including my nondescript (and yet I don't manage to reproduce it now) 62 WPM. You view the list, go to next page until you're content and then click the name of the person's score. There was a minor bug in the beta's "next page" link, so you'd only get the beta version for the first highscore page and then it'd revert to non-beta on the next. Don't worry, that's just a small oversight; programmers aren't gods (no matter what we try to make you believe, heh). I think Ryan's fixed that already? Now you can click the little layout icon on any replay.

Ryan: Maybe by now you should make the lists longer per page. I don't think it'll make loading times long, it's only a bunch of text lines. Each page could hold many times as many highscores so we slowpokes don't have to press next quite as many times to get down to our division. 100 or even 250 per page sounds fine with me.

One thing: Make it so that clicking the large Colemak layout image links to this site! Then what about the other ones? Not sure; the corresponding Wikipedia articles I guess. The Wikipedia article on Colemak has been under attack in the past so I wouldn't use that.

One more thing: Make the clock count down, not up. That makes more sense to me at least.

There's still the issue of having to click extra to gain control focus. I think the 10-fast-fingers site makes do with less focus clicks? Try nosing around in its' code, as I mentioned before.

Gogo Ryan, duking it out in the elite division! It's a hard game up there and I suspect it'll only get harder. I believe that several of the world's best typists have a typing test hobby and between them dominate lists like this and the TypingMaster one. As they all discover Ryan's test, the competition will only get harder.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Nov-2007 08:00:13)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have now implemented Shai's suggestions:

- A replay button
- Buttons to switch layouts
- You can now press <enter> to start the test instead of using the mouse

This finally got me implementing some buttons code which is something that I managed to avoid doing up until now ;-) I would like to release this so that Shai can use it for his purpose (thanks Shai!) but I haven't yet tested/seen it running on Windows. For example, I have no idea whether the fonts for the keyboard are the correct size and whether everything fits. Would somebody mind sending me a screenshot of it running in Windows?

Also, I looked at the strange behavior that DreymaR noticed when typing 5.75%. After typing the first '5' the index finger would start to return to its home position briefly and then by the time the '.' is typed, the index finger would realise it needs to move back to where it was for another '5'. I have made the fingers anticipate a little further into the future now so that the index finger will see that it needs to stay there for the next '5' without moving.

Oh, you're fast Ryan. I edited my post, while you posted. Nice work there!

Here's another thought: I sometimes get nervous or just silly and botch the start of a test. (Yeah, I'll work on that.) Maybe a restart test option/button while typing? As it is now, I click outside the control and then refresh the page with F5 which works fine but maybe that's not obvious to all.

I'd screenshot for you, but I can't upload from home so no dice. Sorry.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Nov-2007 08:08:35)

DreymaR said:

Ryan: Maybe by now you should make the lists longer per page.

I think Google doesn't like pages that have too many links, though (= more than 100). However, what I could do is provide links directly to each page of the highscores so that you don't have to click next, next, next.

Oh, one thing: Make it so that clicking the large Colemak layout image links to this site! Then what about the other ones? Not sure; maybe the corresponding Wikipedia articles will do.

Done.

One more thing: Make the clock count down, not up. That makes more sense to me at least.

Ah, ok, perhaps. I will think about this one for next weekend.

There's still the issue of having to click too many times to gain focus. I think the 10-fast-fingers site makes do with less focus clicks? Try nosing around in its' code, as I mentioned before.

That code will not solve the problem for Java or Flash applets. As far as I am aware, there is no solution which is why Java and Flash games generally have "click to begin" buttons if they are keyboard-controlled games, or else the game is mouse controlled in which case keyboard focus is not an issue.

When you say you have to click too many times, I'm also not quite sure what you mean. For me, you just click the start button "once" and then start typing. If you have to click more times than once, then I suspect it could be some weird feature of your web browser. I will, however, keep an eye out for solutions to this problem and implement one as soon as I see one.

DreymaR said:

Here's another thought: I sometimes get nervous or just silly and botch the start of a test. (Yeah, I'll work on that.) Maybe a restart test option/button while typing? As it is now, I click outside the control and then refresh the page with F5 which works fine but maybe that's not obvious to all.

You can actually click on the applet during the test and it will reset. I was thinking about also mapping the ESC key to reset the test. What do you think? The only problem is if you press ESC by accident while trying to type a ` or ~ but at least I don't think I have ever accidentally hit ESC.

• Shai
  • Administrator

I think Escape is fine. Counting down makes more sense to me too.

WOW!   That is wild!   

Okay, I am much less impressed with my 40-45 wpm Colemak typing skills after watching that!

It's quite instructive to see how much and how quickly my fingers would have to be doing with a Qwerty layout what I did with Colemak.  With Colemak, the same replay shows the dots just sitting there with an occasional lethargic movement of a key.   

Yesterday, I was showing my nieces and nephews Colemak on my macbook (trying to plant a few seeds of revolution) and their reaction was that was just weird how they would type the 'd' and get an 's'.  They have been learning to touch type in school with computer tutors and games.  It was sad to me that they were not seeing the beauty of ARSTDHNEIO home row.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (25-Nov-2007 18:10:27)

The beta is finally released (hooray!), and I shall now return back to my normal work for another week ;-)

http://www.ryanheise.com/typing-test/

good work, Ryan. I'm enjoying all these new features that were added.

Ryan the new version is simply amazing.
If you put the "submit highscore" button with the other options of what to do after finishing the test, it would become even more consistent and nice, I don't know if that is possible though.

An unexpected observation that I have made: Dvorak had the longest travelled finger distance for me! Not sure, but is that because of the extensive use of punctuation in the text and/or the backspace in the normal position? (compared to cmk)

How do you end a replay by the way? (If you can't wait to try and beat your new record...)

Last edited by vilem (27-Nov-2007 00:17:23)

What about a real time WPM indicator? This will give you the speed you are typing while you are typing.

• Index
  • General
  • A new typing test created by a Colemak fan