- Reputation: 4
- Registered: 27-May-2016
- Posts: 7
I’ve been using my current layout for a few years. Over the years, I found many problems with it: criminal underuse of thumbs, redundant keys, silly mistakes, unsound paradigm, dead keys, underused keys, home pinky is off, et cetera. No single problem was critical, so I just kept using it. But now the problems are too numerous to ignore, and I’ll be taking some time off to relax and change my layout.
If you understand what makes a layout good, I’d appreciate it if you could take a look at it to give me some feedback if you have any. I haven’t compiled it yet. I’m not in a rush. I’ll be using QMK. Any tips on mouse, debouncing, and other settings are much appreciated (as they relate to QMK, of course).
Here is the layout on Oryx: https://configure.zsa.io/ergodox-ez/lay … x/latest/0
The code for the layout (which isn’t user-friendly): https://gist.github.com/Evotron/1c8b74c … b8ea11d9e4
Here is the code for my old layout (somewhat user-friendly): https://gist.github.com/Evotron/ee2e58a … 4a34a2cc06
A picture of my old layout: https://i.imgur.com/MszXbgD.jpg
And here are two pictures of my keyboard. I’ve modified some of the keys to be easier to press. They were proofs of concept, and they weren’t bad, so I stuck with them. I’ve gotten some new keycaps and materials, so I’ll be changing them as well. Still, the pics are good to understand my layout. https://i.imgur.com/V0qB3PZ.jpg https://i.imgur.com/bX0ZvFe.jpg
A few notes about the new layout:
1. Starting at layer 9, every key is just a hotkey. I won’t be using those keys like they were intended, but as hotkeys for use with AHK. Running out of hotkeys is so easy. Media keys and the like give me insurance against that.
2. No special keys like ñ, é, §, etc. I’m going to be using a macro key to transform single- and multi-character strings to these special characters. I’m using Windows, so this is easily possible with AHK.
3. The middle finger is a strong finger; I’m not afraid to use it.
4. The pinky is the weakest finger, so I try to limit its use.
5. Thumbs are amazing, so I use them. They are criminally underrated.
6. The pinky is based one row below the other fingers. So the comma and period are where they would rest.