• You are not logged in.

learning Colemak

• Started by Kez
    • 20 Replies:

Hi

I have switched over to colemak after discovering that I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand. (I wondered for quite a while why my fingers were so sore before going to the doctor!) I am a programmer, so basically did all typing with my left hand only, while my right stayed on the mouse. After much searching and reading on the internet I decided that Colemak ws definitely the way to go. Especially as it keeps those handy Ctrl C/V/X/Z! (Unlike Dvorak)

(Note that I also changed my chair to a more ergonomic one (ouch that hurt the wallet) that supports my back to help improve my posture and am considering investing in a split keyboard and track ball mouse in the future. I am only 30 years old, so really want to get on top of this carpal tunnel thing before it gets worse and invloves surgery.)

I was previously a hunt and peck typer all my computer life (about 15 years), using QWERTY, I averaged around 40 WPM (tested on both RyanHeise.com typing test and Freeform typing speed test)

I tried to switch over cold turkey lasy week to Colemak, except that with work I found that I was just too slow and had to now and then switch back to type emails, code etc.

So after a week, I am using colemak about 60% of the time as I haven't yet had time to learn all the keys! I am about 3/4 of the way there though. I am using Typefaster program to learn. I find that I have to drag the program down the screen so I can't see the bright red key guide as this really puts me off and I cheat too much from it.

I haven't changed my keyboard, so that makes it easy to go back to QWERTY peck and hunting when I need to.Also I can't cheat by looking down to find the correct keys to type!

I aso printed out a copy of the colemak layout, so this is how I am typing in colemak 60% of the time even though I don't know all the keys yet. I just look at it when I don't know the letter.

I am waiting till I get to 20 WPM at 95% accuracy before moving onto the next lesson and learning new keys.

I am using Windows Vista business, no problems installing.

I love the no caps/back space key!

I have found just after one week that my left hand is feeling much better. I don't pound the keys anywhere near as much so I am sure this would make a huge difference.

Anyway I am dedicated to learning colemak, if I get even back to near 40 WPM that had with my hunt and peck QWERTY I will be really happy. (and from reading lots of other posts I don't see why this wont be possible!)

I will keep you all posted!

Thanks for the great website and forum.

Cheers
    Kez

Glad to read your hand is feeling better. The first week is hard, especially when one has work to do. :) I switched cold turkey anyway and did all of the lessons in the first 3 days to know the keys (couple hours a day, started on a weekend), then used only Colemak at work (I'm a programmer too), which was good training. If you could hunt & peck at 40 WPM I'd say with "proper" 10-finger typing you should eventually surpass that easily. Anyway, good luck!

Unfortunately, Colemak probably won't help your CTS right away. The strain of learning it could well aggravate your condition if you already have a full-blown CTS problem. I think you're on the right track, but be very careful. Don't focus on speed at all to begin with, and stay off Ryan's dangerous site.  ;)

One important thing is arm rest. If your elbows can't rest, it gets stressful. A split board could be nice since it's more compatible with the standard boards you'll be meeting in the outside world, but if you want the most ergonomic boards I think you'll want a Kinesis or suchlike.

When you're done learning Colemak and have lost your CTS, you can learn to type 1-handed Colemak and keep using mouse+keyboard.  ;)

Now my best advice: I've had CTS myself (finishing a doctorate thesis can be tough!), and what helped was ergophysiotherapy. You'll need a well-trained ergophysiotherapist to tell you exactly what exercises are best for your body and condition, but basically it's about doing a lot of exercises for all aspects of the wrists, arms and shoulder area using many repetitions with light loads (e.g., 100 repetitions, 500 g load). Not only will you help your condition, but your muscles and circulation will become better trained so that you avoid getting it again. I've never had a relapse.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

hey Kez, CTS is serious business...hope your condition gets better.

about Colemak, just hang in there for the first few weeks, it'll get easier and faster after that.

hey guys

Thanks for the encouragement!

After another week, my CTS is not too bad, definitely an improvement. And I just learnt Q and C, so I am getting there! :)

DreymaR, thanks for the advice on CTS, great to hear you got on top of it. I will try to find a ergophysiotherapist (never heard of them!), but I think I might struggle as in Australia I live a long way from a major town, and about 1000+ kms from a capital city! ;)

Well after about 2 weeks I am typing at about 25 WPM. Using Colemak prehaps 80% of the time now. I'm pretty happy with how I'm going.

My only problem is with the r and s keys. I get them confused all the time! It would have been handy if s had been left in its original QWERTY position! ;)

I know what you mean.  The switch bothered me a lot at first but now I haven't had a problem with it for quite a while now and I appreciate having the combinations "ar" "ra" "st" "sp" "est" etc.

Shai thought a lot about that one. He too saw the value of keeping the S in position, especially since Ctrl-S is also a common shortcut. At the end of things though, the relative frequencies (S is much more common in English), the digraph patterns (inward rolls are better than outward ones) and the same-finger considerations won the day. At first, you'll find it frustrating. But once you start getting used to it, you'll be glad he chose to move the S after all. I think so at least.

ha! strange... I only been using colemak for 3 days and I memorize the keyboard in about 20minutes. My problem is not to type P and L as qwerty. I'm getting over 20wpm, yay!

Gee I wish I could learn the layout in 20 mins, you are so lucky, 4 weeks later and im still getting some keys confused! :)

p and l I find easy, its still the r and s that bothers me.

Am up to 30 WPM, and converted fully to using colemak, hearty goodbye to my hunt and peck QWERTY!

Don't worry Kez, some people are really fast layout learners and others struggle more. I'm a fast learner in general but I've taken my sweet time getting used to the Colemak nevertheless. It flows well for me now, fortunately, and I've finally surpassed my old QWERTY and Dvorak speeds. Good times.

Kez said:

Hi

I have switched over to colemak after discovering that I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand.

If you have CTS in your left hand, you might like to consider keeping the backspace key in the QWERTY position, on the "right" hand. This will probably be one of the most frequent keys that you will use while in the "learning" process, and you should probably not have it on your weakest finger of your weakest hand. At least, over time it may aggravate your problem.

Also:

1. As a programmer, you will need CapsLock. Without it, you will induce more finger strain with all of the "shift"ing.
    2. Colemak has a much higher rate of alternation between the left pinky and ring fingers(*) than other keyboard layouts. Ordinarily, I don't think this is a problem, and if your fingers are in good shape, this arrangement of keys supports more finger rolls, less same-finger repetition, and so on. But, if you already have a condition in your left hand, you might find that this, in addition to the backspace strain, may be too much for the left pinky finger, and so you will want to eliminate one of the factors.

(*) Pianists will know this is the weakest finger alternation.

I noticed that there is actually more strain on the left hand while doing Colemak. I think my problem is I only use the left hand to press shift. Now I'm doing 28wpm with about 95% accuracy.

fanwuq said:

I noticed that there is actually more strain on the left hand while doing Colemak. I think my problem is I only use the left hand to press shift. Now I'm doing 28wpm with about 95% accuracy.

I also used to type with only the left shift a few months ago, but then after I practiced and forced myself to use the right shift as well, I got the hang of it. So I recommend for you to start using your right shift too ;).

Same here. I feel that ambidextrous shifting is a significant improvement to my typing.

ditto

hey ryanheise, while I agree that using caps as backspace is more use of that hand, it is just too convenient there, plus I plan to make no mistakes soon at all so it wont be needed! ;)

My hand is feeling good at the moment, so will leave as is. Also before learning colemak I had caps disabled anyway! I was always accidently knocking it on all the time and it frustrated me so I turned it off permantely, so I am really not missing it even with my programming.

I also use ambidextrous shifting so that must take a fair load off my left pinkie.

I am now at 33 WPM, haven't had much time to practice this week though. But am extremely pleased with how I have been progressing.

I'm a bit addicted to ryanheise's typing test!

I'd suggest learning keyboard shortcuts and leaving the hands on the keyboard... (see "Windows keyboard shortcuts overview" in Windows help) Doing all the typing with 1 hand is no good, colemak or not.
    I switched cold turkey a year ago. I trained just a little the first couple weeks to get the frustration away, but grew speed only by using Colemak for work. I'm now at 51 wpm on ryanheise test.
    Cheers

Just an update to how I am going learning Colemak.

I am now averaging 40 WPM, I am extremely pleased as I am up to my speed that I had on the QWERTY layout.

So it has taken me about 12 weeks to get to 40 WPM.

I still make mistakes (r and s still bother me, but not as much) but I am finding it all a lot more natural now, my typing seems to flow, and I don't have to think so much about where the keys are.

I try to practice a few times a day and am a regular (ie addicted) visitor to Ryanheise (the new layout looks good by the way).

I haven't learnt the top row of numbers yet (and their associated Shift characters), so that will be my next challenge, I might wait until I can type slightly faster though.

Another Update:

I am averaging about 48-50 WPM. I have hit a high of 53 WPM but that was definitely a once off.

My rate of increasing WPM has definitely slowed down. But am extremely happy at 50ish WPM so am not too concerned.

One thing I have found interesting is that I am much slower in the morning (by up to 5WPM!!), but by late arvo my WPM always increases and I make less mistakes. I'm not much of a morning person, maybe it just takes a while for my fingers to warm up!

I have just started learning numbers, not too bad so far, but I haven't thrown in the Shift characters on the top row yet.

Just adding another update.

First I have to say that I love Colemak.

Reading back here I can't believe I have been using it for a year and 3 months!

I have plateaud on my speed, I can consistently type about 55-60WPM. With highs in the mid 60's. However I am extremely happy with that. It is certainly more than I ever expected and more than fast enough for anything I do or am required to do with work.

I no longer mix up r and s, it feels very smooth to type and the best thing is that I have basically no Carpal Tunnel Symptoms since swapping.

I am very lazy and have not learned the numbers/top row :(   (I do however know a few that I use quite often)

I believe if I made a conscious effort to slow down my typing slightly and concentrate more on making less mistakes that I would definitely be able to improve on my WPM, however as I don't need to it is on the bottom of my todo pile.

Cheers
    Kerrie

Last edited by Kez (05-Feb-2009 06:47:21)