• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • How long does it take for me to use the left backspace?

How long does it take for me to use the left backspace?

• Started by SuperColemakTyper
    • 2 Replies:
    • SuperColemakTyper

I installed Colemak some time ago(a month) and I have discovered that the caps lock was not the backspace unlike the normal version.
    I have installed the version with the caps lock as the backspace today(I'll call it the left one).
    Do you think the left backspace is better for me than the right one?
    Take these factors in:
    I am right handed.

Also, how long would it take for me to get used to pressing the left backspace instead of the right one?
    It is the first time I had two backspaces and I like the left one better because its nearer.
    I have used the right backspace for the rest of my life.
    If I use the left backspace is there any use to use the right backspace?

That key is better used for an Extend key. With practice you shouldn't need to Backspace all the time and then you can afford to have that key in a layer – especially given the possibility to save some key presses with a Ctrl+Backspace combo which is easy to do with layers.

Even with a better Backspace mapping, yes – sometimes do use the old right-hand Backspace key. But not while typing normal text. Then I hit Extend+T+O to delete the previous word, or without T to delete just one character. As a general rule.

Again, it's described in the Big Bag... See the Extend page, under Layers.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Nov-2021 14:13:28)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

~2-3 days if you started using colemak regularly like me. 1-2 days it will feel weird a bit and after the initial phase it will feel natural.

• Index
      • General
      • How long does it take for me to use the left backspace?