• You are not logged in.

How did you people learn Colemak??

• Started by jc0481
    • 5 Replies:

Basically I am looking for advice on a quick way to learn Colemak. I am now about 50 wmp using Colemak. But it still doesn't flow right. I have learned Qwerty and was Dvorak user for about a year and a half after that. I have been using Colemak for close to three months now. I want to know if there is a good fast way to learn Colemak better either online or install a program on my computer. By the way I have both a Windows computer and a Mac. My goal is to reach 70+ wpm and hopefully faster after that. My biggest problem is I start typing fast but I always input the wrong key when I go fast but when I go slower I am 100% accurate. I would like to overcome that. So I am asking is how you people learned Colemak and any other way I can improve. Thank you

p.s. I have a hard time when I practice my typing and the letters r and s are next to each other in the words. Usually make a mistake when that happens any way to overcome that too?

JC

Last edited by jc0481 (04-Dec-2007 22:14:08)

which program did you use, when you learned it?

There's a typing program on the main site that ran on Windows and which I used to learn.  Not the best typing program I've seen but good enough, esp. I assume you already mastered touch typing on qwer.

I made a lot of mistake at first, too, even after I started using it for real.  Type more, they will go eventually. ;)

Honestly, Typer Shark's been helping me a lot!  It's funny how you really CAN think of the right key when the sharks are creeping up on you  :-)

When playing "QWERTY Warriors" I found it very funny to notice that you can (sometimes) kill all enemies at once by typing the word "detonate".  I guess this is supposed to be hard to type on Qwerty, but on Colemak it's very easy; all home row. :D

being able to type "detonate" very quickly has certainly saved my ass a lot when the health target is out there to zip me back to 100.   It being easy to type early on certainly increased my survival time.