- Reputation: 2
- Registered: 04-Sep-2022
- Posts: 10
I am in the process to create a custom keyboard layout and need to decide for a solution which allows:
* custom key layout
* compose sequences
* dead keys for diacritics
* navigation and media button assignments
* extra layers
* custom modifier keys
* home-row mods
* screen overlay with keyboard layout (to help learn or to look up seldom used chars)
* ... something I am possibly missing right now ...?
Is there somewhere an overview, in the best case a table, listing the different options?
The solution can be either a single program, but could also be a combination, for example creating a custom keyboard layout, which shows up in the windows settings, but then adding functions like compose keys, home-row mods and so on, which are not available with that.
I know of
* Autohotkey → not the ideal solution in my experience, because from time to time it gives problems and the re-assignments do not work reliable always
* http://www.kbdedit.com/ → likely no home-row mods, but might be a good solution otherwise?
* Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) Version 1.4 → limited to basic remapping, no navigation keys (arrows...) possible
* Kmonad → seems to cover the special wishes, does one need a basic remapping tool like MSKLC in addition
* ReNeo → seems harder to configure, but likely addresses most remapping wishes, but not home-row-mods and the like!?
* neo2-llkh → similar to ReNeo, but limited options!?
What about special needs and experiences (admin rights? Works in console windows as well? Available in login screen already, Can be switched to a "standard" layout like qwerty easily, runs stable? Works in virtual machines? ...)?
What do you think is the "best" option?