• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Is MessagEase still a good choice/how to add Colemakoid layout?

Is MessagEase still a good choice/how to add Colemakoid layout?

• Started by p1an0_guy
    • 3 Replies:

Came across MessagEase on Dreymar's big bag of tricks, and I was wondering if it's is still a good choice for typing on smartphones (or if anything new has come out since then)? Also, I am not able to find "keyboard exchange" under settings in MessagEase to add the Colemakoid layout, and I can't seem to get that blue hand icon to add the layout another way; not sure if I'm doing something wrong? Using iOS 16 on an iPhone 13. Thanks!!

Last edited by p1an0_guy (01-Jun-2023 15:53:24)

Ah, it's possible that the iOS app doesn't have keyboard exchange – or even the ability to customize your layout at all (short of unpacking, editing and recompiling the app).

I'm on Android myself. Unfortunately, the app is no longer under active development. Hope you find out something, MessagEase is a really nice app I think. Even unmodded.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Ok yeah I just verified that I cannot customize the layout on iOS.
    Yeah, I think messagease definitely looks promising (once I get used to it lol)
    On that note, though, how do you decide which thumb to use, especially for that middle "O" with 9 other letters?

I use both thumbs, like the champs do (albeit much slower than them). Once I got used to it, I find that they sort of decide automatically which one gets the honors.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Is MessagEase still a good choice/how to add Colemakoid layout?