• You are not logged in.

Typing without looking at the keyboard!

• Started by babuyagu
    • 2 Replies:

Well I have been using Colemak for 3 days now and my typing speed averages a little higher than 20wpm each time so I figure now should be the time when I focus on starting to type without looking at the keyboard. The trouble is that every time I do, I start typing Qwerty. I can't help it.

Start out with a keyboard image in height with your screen. You could use one of the images you'll find on this site, such as one of mine:
    Colemak_light.gif

Either print the image on paper and stick it near your screen somewhere (I have one on my coffee mug - also doubles as an attempt at a conversation starter although people don't often bite), or just use it as a desktop object.

I (re-)wrote a small app to show an image onscreen, the first version of which is found here: http://folk.uio.no/obech/Files/Keyboard … Screen.zip

I've been working on that to improve it further, but it's not finished yet and it's not going fast. If you'd like to try its' current state, let me know.

Once you've used this "crutch" for a while, you'll be truly liberated and can type Colemak blind (and most likely will disregard your old QWERTY skills enough that you no longer can type QWERTY blind unless you get a little re-training - I always look at the keys when typing QWERTY now, but at least it isn't really slow). I wouldn't stress that transition overmuch, as it'll come to you quite naturally when your memory is ready.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

On a Mac, the keyboard drop down menu has an option toggle "Show Keyboard Viewer"  that shows the layout and what key you are pressing down on real time.  I had that from day one so I was never looking down at the keyboard.  Kept it up for months until I realized I was not looking at it anymore.  Threw the crutch away.  It's kind of fun typing in the dark.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (13-Dec-2007 18:22:40)