• You are not logged in.

'Special characters (only MS Windows/Mac)'

• Started by ethana2
    • 1 Replies:

I was wondering if this is going to change anytime soon...
    OSX uses the x.org windowing system, does it not?  Shouldn't the Linux/*BSD/OpenSolaris implementation be possible to derive from it?  ..or is this at the DE level?
    See, I was trying to figure out why my special characters weren't working... then I cam across that little snippet of text you see in the title.  Now, I kinda want those special characters...  and it'd also be nice to have a greek letter set as well...

I'm thinking of a new colemak version with the following changes:
    integrated one handed typing
    special characters via altgr \ key
    greek characters via altgr \ shift+key
    caps lock in place of old backspace, for those coders who still use it.

..but Shai is probably pretty busy already..  Should we start a roadmap discussion?
    certainly there will be those users who just want to use colemak to /type/, but then there are the
    multilinguals
    mathematicians
    programmers
    librarians

We've already got the multilingual people taken care of for the most part I think, insomuch as it's practical, but it seems the librarians are tied to proprietary operating systems...  you know, theoretically, there is a librarian or two who types in colemak...

Or perhaps it's time to step back and say 'wait, linux is just an /operating system/, colemak just a /keyboard layout/, you know...  https://xkcd.com/198/

~
    http://www.ryanheise.com/typing-test/re … me=ethana2

• Shai
    • Administrator

As far as I know, it's not technically possible with Linux/BSD because the keyboard remapping doesn't have that feature, and it would require rewriting parts of the operating system.