• You are not logged in.

Problems going faster in Colemak

• Started by jc0481
    • 5 Replies:

I am getting faster in Colemak but at a slower pace than what I want to. I type about 70 wpm now after using it for about two months with practice everyday for at least an hour of training. I was wondering how can I isolate the letters that give me the most trouble and concentrate on those. Is there any software or online typing program that will allow to do that? I have not found it yet. I hope somebody can share anything with me regarding this issue. Thanks

JC

Last edited by jc0481 (26-Jan-2008 20:48:35)

For what it's worth, The Typing of the Dead gives you an option to redo each drill with focus on your weak letters. It's not felt like a major help to me, but then I've never hit 70 WPM ... yet.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Just found the Typing of the Dead demo... (I see that Typing of the Dead II is scheduled for release in March).

As far as I can see this only works with QWERTY. One of the files is a 'layout.bin,' so presumably that can be replaced. But, by what?

That's a good question. I have been stuck on 70wpm for many months now.

I never messed around with the layout.bin - from its name it's a compiled binary so I wouldn't know how either. But if you ignore the fact that any mention of key positions in the game will be wrong I've had no trouble playing it. (Well, I did have one trouble which is that I couldn't use AltGr mappings and my Norwegian board had some of those for required chars such as @${[]} - I ended up using Ctrl-remappings in my own layout to bypass that. Most people will have an easier time.)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Typing of the Dead doesn't work on Macs. What software can I use to help with errors that works for Mac?

Edit: never mind.

Last edited by SpeedMorph (17-Jun-2008 02:58:55)