• You are not logged in.

My reasons for switching to Colemak

• Started by gmoothart
    • 2 Replies:

I switched from qwerty to Colemak about 3 weeks ago (after a day with Dvorak), and am very impressed. I blog about my experience here:

http://codingpatterns.blogspot.com/2008 … lemak.html

Gabe

Nice post!  I think what you are experiencing is pretty common.

It happens largely by burning common words and letter combinations into your muscles, not by stringing together individual keys. After almost 3 weeks on Colemak, I find that my most common mistakes aren't on particular letters but in particular contexts. I may get "I" right most of the time, but I still invariably type the Qwerty "I" in certain words. Because of the Colemak emphasis on digraphs, I get the feeling that as I burn it into my fingers it will make for more comfortable and smoother typing.

I see you're missing the -_ key, and I have a tip for you: Get an international keyboard, and use the extra key for that. Better yet, do the BRHS moving ZXCVB one key to the left and the new -_ key to the middle. You'll still use the same fingering on ZXCVB so it's not hard at all (took me about one day to get used to) but your hand will be in a more ergonomic angle afterwards. And you'll have your -_ in the middle which is a much better place than where it is now I hope.

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Jan-2008 20:21:00)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***