• You are not logged in.

One-handed layout

• Started by Chase
    • 4 Replies:

During my journey through layout-land, I've gotten the weird idea of also learning a one-handed layout, just to be able to type with one hand, while operation the mouse with the other.
    I've decided to learn Dvorak one-handed ones first; since the they are rather mirrored, learning one more or less also teaches you the other. But what i wonder now is this: How am I supposed to put my fingers on there?
    tmpre6.jpg
    For both, I guessed I had to place my index finger on E and pinky on D. Tell me if I'm wrong. Also tell me if you think of better one-handed inputs, for occaisonal left/right-handed typing.
    Maybe learning to type your default layout (be it QWERTY or Colemak) with one hand, isn't such a bad idea..

Last edited by Chase (21-Feb-2008 20:18:55)

Hah.. why should we tell you how to use dvorak?
    Just kidding, I have no idea though.

vilem said:

Hah.. why should we tell you how to use dvorak?
    Just kidding, I have no idea though.

Heh yeah, sorry for writing quite a lot about Dvorak on this board. In the long run I plan on using Colemak, actually..  still you guys should be able to argue on other layouts as well.
    Anyway, in this case Dvorak is not really a 'competitor', since I'm talking of one-handed layouts. It's obvious that Standard-Dvorak vastly sucks when typing with one hand, while these two are most optimized for that.
    I could only guess how Colemak performs one-handed, I guess it's still better than QWERTY though.

QWERTY really is great for one-handed typing. I notice I have a lot of trouble when I'm typing Colemak with one hand (when I'm eating pizza at the computer, for instance).

• Shai
    • Administrator

I've created a while ago a Half-Colemak version of the layout.