• You are not logged in.

Plans to add missing glyphs?

• Started by Karthiliad
    • 6 Replies:

I love the multilingual feature of Colemak but I can't help but notice the absence of my favorite glyph ( ¬ ) the low-9 quote ( , )and the low-9 double quote ( „ ) AKA „German Quotes“

But I wonder how many will properly use the „ with it's counterpart “ (AltGr + Shift + 9) and likewise with , and ‘

Any plans to add these?

Hmmm.... what else?

Oh, how would you customize the second \| key? (to the left of Z on most keyboards that have it... for me it's between left alt and the space bar)

Last edited by Karthiliad (22-Feb-2008 00:05:12)
    • Shai
    • Administrator

Frankly, I've never seen ¬ used anywhere (except now when I looked up the Negation article on Wikipedia) and no one else asked for it. That said it is included in the US-International layout, so I might include it as well in a future version.

I can see why the bottom quotes would be useful as well, so I'll also consider that.

You can create your own custom keyboard layouts using  The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator tool on Windows or Ukelele on Mac.

While we're on the subject, can we make ¼, ½ and ¾ appear as one of the AltGr+\  (*) combining characters (perhaps with 1, 2 and 3)?

Additionally, I noticed that the degree symbol (°, U+00B0) is absent except as part of the dead-key for ring above. Personally, I would make the dead-key use the actual ring above (˚, U+02DA) and have a seperate spot for the degree sign.

Kupari said:

While we're on the subject, can we make ¼, ½ and ¾ appear as one of the AltGr+\  (*) combining characters (perhaps with 1, 2 and 3)?

Additionally, I noticed that the degree symbol (°, U+00B0) is absent except as part of the dead-key for ring above. Personally, I would make the dead-key use the actual ring above (˚, U+02DA) and have a seperate spot for the degree sign.

The degree symbol is there.
    "° (Degree): AltGr+[\] [d]"

Shai said:

You can create your own custom keyboard layouts using  The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator tool on Windows or Ukelele on Mac.

I'm aware of that. I've been using MSKLC forever... just wondering if there was a way to edit THIS layout. For some reason it doesn't load properly in MSKLC. Even if it did I'd have to rename it and save it as something else wouldn't I?

Thank you.

I'm a glyph phreak myself, and my layout utilizes dead keys for many symbols. As long as it's not too common, it's a nice way of implementing them. In the standard Colemak however, there's still much unused space on AltGr bindings. The trouble with filling it up is that it becomes easiers for newcomers to be daunted and/or confused, but commonly needed glyphs should still be made as accessible as possible.

If it were me, I'd probably put the fraction glyphs on a dead key. The acute accent has a shape reminiscent of the solidus in the fraction.

I think the degree sign might deserve an AltGr mapping since it is quite commonly used for a symbol, like for instance the μ sign. (Maybe the Pi sign should've had a spot too?) But it should work well enough on a dead key too (I use that myself).

Putting the U+02DA sign as the main mapping for a dead key may or may not sit well with MSKLC, as it can be a bit finicky. Both could well be released from the same dead key using different release keys, and I'd think that'd be worth doing.

Another idea: I have the dagger and double dagger signs on the AltGr mappings for the apostrophe, myself. And the " key with AltGr and Shift maps to a dead key for all the quote glyphs I could find including ‚ „ ‘ “ ’ ” ‛ ‹› and more. MSKLC is a fun program to play with.  :)

[Karthiliad: Are you using MSKLC version 1.4, or the old v1.3?]

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Feb-2008 09:09:09)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

[Karthiliad: Are you using MSKLC version 1.4, or the old v1.3?]

I decided to just go at it myself and make my own version of Colemak.

AltGr+any letter causes problems in Photoshop because it thinks I'm trying a shortcut. I don't have the problem when I use punctuation as an altgr key combo.

Last edited by Karthiliad (06-Mar-2008 05:18:52)