• You are not logged in.

Qwertz to Colemak

• Started by extremecarver
    • 3 Replies:

Hello everyone, here I will post my progress in order to not give up.
    I learned Qwertz about 15 years ago when I was 8 in stenography lessons, but over the last years my speed didn't improve. My goal for Colemak is to regain speed during 1-2 month and reach 100 wpm in 6-12 month time.

I am on my 3. day. On the first day I learned for about 3 hours.
    1. day speed: 10wpm
    2. day speed: 17wpm - only learned about 1h
    3. day speed: 24wpm on typefaster common words - 15-18 on hi-games.net after practising for 2h. today.

My old speed was 75-80 on hi-games. I'm too considering to switch to a split keyboard from my cherry that I have at the moment. Typing in the homerow is already quite acceptable.

Howdy neighbor :)

100 wpm in 6-12 months is a tough goal coming from 75-80 wpm. I don't mean to discourage you at all, but I was at 72 wpm before the switch and after 6 months after I'm at 56 wpm (in the test I use as reference). That's close to 80% from where I started at, and certainly acceptable (in fact I found anything above 40 wpm to be acceptable, which took about 3 weeks to reach). But I found it was hard to "unlearn" my ~15 years of Qwerty/Qwertz experience, or rather to get new experience with Colemak. I figure I'll be faster than I was maybe in another six months.
    Of course there are those who got quicker much faster, and maybe others who take longer. Either way I figure it's well worth it in the long run, but in the beginning one needs lots of discipline. ;)

Anyway, good luck!

thanks for the encouragement, I do hope it goes quicker though :)

My normal typing speed (meaning non burst speed) was about 55-65 and lower than 45 feels really slow. I do type a lot (about 5-6 hours daily) and am in the middle of my diploma thesis, so it better be quick but I'm not the fastest learner when it comes to finger skills. I did the change only for being quicker in the long run!

Maybe not the best time to switch, but if not now then never so I try to go for it. Some people on here managed to regain within 4 weeks so I do have hope. Even though I miss many GGGG and DDDD as well as confusing R and S as well as EIO. On "combos" like en ne ei ie st sr  rst ..... I can already feel the speed of Colemak. As of today I stopped QWERTZ completely too.

It may be unrealistic to expect that Colemak will let you type significantly faster than you already could with QWERTY.   Peak typing speed is bounded more by innate athletic ability than it is due to any hobbling effect of QWERTY,  so it's unlikely you will gain more than a thimbleful of wpm over your QWERTY best, even after much practice. 

However, Colemak is more comfortable and lets you type longer with less fatigue.  That, rather than speed, may be more crucial for someone trying to get out that thesis or dissertation.  It's not the speed with which the words tumble out, it's the stamina to keep at it.

But rest assured you will not pay a speed penalty by switching to Colemak.   As the many progress reports here show, typists invariably regain their original speed after only a few weeks.