• You are not logged in.

How To Remap Keys

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 7 Replies:

I'm currently trying out various layouts to find the best for me. I want to be able to remap my keyboard, and I don't know C++. What's the best way to do this?

You need to tell us what system you're using, but since you didn't I'll assume you use Windows (XP or Vista). Search for MSKLC, the free-to-use Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator tool. The current version is 1.4, and it'll work on any Windows version after 98 I think.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

You need to tell us what system you're using.

Yeah, I do. I forgot about that. :D I'm running Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard).

See https://colemak.com/Mac

Last edited by boli (09-Mar-2008 10:29:22)

Okay, well I looked at the instructions, and I have no Keyboard Layouts folder, in Library or anywhere. Am I supposed to make one, or what? Also when I downloaded Colemak to a different location (my downloads folder), it said I could not open it because I didn't have an application to support it.

SpeedMorph said:

Okay, well I looked at the instructions, and I have no Keyboard Layouts folder, in Library or anywhere. Am I supposed to make one, or what?

Yes. I suggest creating the folder in /Library/ and put the layout file there, because if you create one in ~/Library/ you'll be the only user able to use the layout (which alse means you'll not be able to use it in the login screen).

Also when I downloaded Colemak to a different location (my downloads folder), it said I could not open it because I didn't have an application to support it.

This is normal, just put it in the folder you created.

The instructions tell how to change layouts, and also list an editor.

Last edited by boli (09-Mar-2008 19:05:33)

you have no folder because you haven't put in a custom layout before.

This is typical Apple.  You keep thinking, it's so simple, it must be harder than this.

Yes, all you have to do is create the folder  "Keyboard Layouts" if you don't have it.   

in  /Library   OR  for one user    ~/Library

place Colemak.keylayout  in that folder plus any  *.icns files (not required IIRC)

It's just an XML file so any plain text editor can open it and read it using Open With .
    Apple obviously didn't set up a default program to open these files.

If you install Ukelele, then you can just click on it and open it and see the layout display and modify it easily but that's not necessary.

logout login and go to the International preference pane and you will find Colemak there.

Need to install DoubleCommand if you want the CapsLock-Backspace

Okay, problem solved. Thanks!