• You are not logged in.

I'm going to change right now.

• Started by Ron388
    • 8 Replies:

I've been thinking about a new keyboard layout for some time now.  My fingers just don't want to cooperate with Qwerty and have never felt comfortable.  Little fingers just don't like to reach around very much.  I almost went with Dvorak until I realized Dvorak was designed for use with typewriters and Colemak was designed for computers.  I like the fact that the bottom row is almost the same as Qwerty.  I like the comma and period in the same place as well as the copy and paste keys.  I really like the backspace key next to the 'A' key. 

So now I'm going to do it.  I'm really going to do it.  I'm going to do it now.  Right now.  Okay!

Hey good luck! And good choice with Colemak!

The copy/paste shorcuts being the same are a definite bonus. Keep at it, its hard at the start but well worth the change.

Well, I'm whizzing right along at about 5-8 wpm.  My office buddies think I'm nuts but I'm doing it.  I do switch back to Qwerty for speed at work but I work the Colemak otherwise.

With deliberate and repeated effort, progress is inevitable.

good luck jumping over that virtual mountain, it's worth it in my opinion.

Ron388 said:

Well, I'm whizzing right along at about 5-8 wpm.  My office buddies think I'm nuts but I'm doing it.  I do switch back to Qwerty for speed at work but I work the Colemak otherwise.

The first week I did "Qwerty by day (work), Colemak by night (home)" to initially learn the layout.  After one week I felt confident enough to switch full time.

Those first few days I also tended to switch back to Qwerty sometimes "when I had to be quick" at work, but it confused me so much that it slowed me down overall so I refused to switch back temporarily like that anymore, and I haven't used Qwerty at all since then.

I'm now in the fifth week, doing 50-60 wpm with Colemak (coming from 70-80 wpm with Qwerty).  It would be nice to reach my original speed again but I feel comfortable, and esp. my accuracy has improved a lot.  Speed seems less important now.

Wow, that's great.  I type Qwerty at 65 and plan on keeping both skills active.  My goal is to type Colemak faster than Qwerty, 75 or 80 would be nice.

I started just now too, I'm typing about 5 mins per word (not words per min), only know r s t n e i. My mind (not body) memorized key spots, which helps. This whole thing took about 10 mins. lol this is pathetic :)

Haha, just keep at it, SpeedMorph! Soon you'll more than double your speed, I expect.