• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • What would it take for this to happen.....

What would it take for this to happen.....

• Started by jc0481
    • 2 Replies:

I like the Colemak layout. But its an annoyance to carry around my flash drive to change the layout. A minor inconvenience but well worth it imho. I think it took Dvorak layout to become standard on different operating systems a long time I think 25+ years. I ask Shai if Colemak users donate more would it be eligible to be standard on different operating systems? I am just wondering what would it take? I just hope it does not take more than 25 + years like Dvorak did. Maybe it took longer for Dvorak to become a certified standard because of the keyboards back then. It would have been very hard and time consuming to switch over to Dvorak unless it was done at the factory. I do know that any future release of x11 on Linux will feature Colemak that's a very good start by the way.

JC0481

I think the best way for Colemak (or anything, really) to become more popular is to get publicity, and get people to actually use it. A good way to get publicity would be to get featured in magazines, or other widely used sources of information.

On a tangent: Did any of you love the Pixar movie "The Incredibles"? On the DVD there was a sequence showing off all the buttons in the movie, including the übergeeky keyboard of the main adversary. I was so let down that it was still a QWERTY board when he had gone to the trouble of making his own special board! At the very least it should've been a Dvorak layout; if it had been left-handed Dvorak or Colemak/Arensito/Capewell/whatever I'd have loved those film-makers so much!

Rumour has it that the Russian computer expert in James Bond: Goldeneye types in a variant layout (1-handed?). I don't think this kind of thing creates a lot of attention among hoi polloi, but it may create the right kind of attention among a few special "right kind of people"?  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • What would it take for this to happen.....