• You are not logged in.

3rd day, a woozy mind and 25 wpm

• Started by Ekief
    • 10 Replies:

Hi there, I started with Colemak the day before yesterday, and with a lot of practice on the first day I had the layout memorized.

Now I am typing happily away with Colemak, but I do have a bit of frustration.
    Using all kinds of UNIX and linux systems, I am used to working with the command line. Now I realize that most of the "simple" commands like ls, vi, less, cat, find are also ingrained into my muscle memory.

Well, as typing is a bit of a frustration at the moment, I'll leave it at that for the moment.

P.S. Love the Capslock replacement, with autohotkey and using right-shift+capslock, I can still use it for some readable SQL typing.

P.S.2. while reading the post, I saw it might look a bit negative, but I am very enthusiastic so far, (and I don't want to retype the post... ;-) )

P.S.3. I am a qwerty typist, with ~8 years of touch typing experience. (~65 wpm)

Last edited by Ekief (21-Apr-2008 18:17:23)

Good grief - 25 wpm in 3 days?  Count yourself lucky or talented - I'm five days in, just now have gotten the keyboard reasonably committed to memory, and am banging out <15 wpm at about 98% cold turkey.  I have to change to qwerty every now and then for this and that, but am just now starting to feel at all comfortable.  And my qwerty is definitely suffering now.  I'm glad I don't have the additional issue of many short commands to retrain - my brain is about to explode as it is!

25 wpm yesterday, today I hit 31 as a maximum, (28 average) on the typing test (I do have a dayjob btw.)

I don't really need qwerty to be able to do my job, but I have mapped scroll-lock to switch to qwerty if needed, mainly if a collegue needs to type a few commands on my machine.

One of the main advantages of colemak so far (not specifically colemak, a blank keyboard might work the same), is that I'm not looking at my keyboard anymore; this also helps me in touch typing on the top (numeric) row, which I was never that very comfortable with.

I do feel very much like I'm mentally blocked, I can't put my thoughts on the screen that very fast anymore, pretty frustrating.
    But in the end I think this period of grief will make me a better typist, so I think it is worth it.

Two and a half weeks using colemak, and I think I'll keep it.
    A lot of progress has been made the last two weeks (up to 50 wpm) but it is starting to slow down now.

When using colemak I am forced not to look at the keyboard, which has also improved my numeric (top row) typing skills enormously.

Even though I thought ditching qwerty for colemak might be troublesome, I have only experienced a few rare cares where I was forced to use qwerty.

(I work in an environment supporting all kinds of OS'es)
    AutoHotkey for Windows is the best in that regard I think.

I may keep you all updated....

keep updating.  It's useful to see where you are and how you feel about over the course of the next year.

Yes, Ekief, please do keep updating. How is it going now?

Well it's been 5 months since my last update here, and I haven't posted a message since, because quite frankly, I don't need to think about the fact that I'm using Colemak anymore.

It now is my only keyboard layout, and I don't have any major trouble with it, the main advantage isn't necessarily speed, but the fact that I am not looking at my keyboard anymore while typing. The speed is up to 70 wpm on a good day, and a little less than 60 if everything is going haywire.

Even though my work requires me to use many different type of Operating Systems and programs in server environments doesn't pose as big of a problem as I thought. Most machines can be accessed remotely using your own computer (and layout) and if there is no other way, than qwerty is still in that memory of mine, but it really becomes a hunt and peck layout. Hopefully Colemak will be shipped as a standard layout with most *nixes soon, and also with the next release (or Service Pack) of Windows.

The only real problem is when using a friend's machine to do some quick internet browsing or troubleshooting. I now have the Autohotkey Colemak with me on a USB drive, so I can easily and without installing software use Colemak on those computers.

Well, that's basically it. But I do have a question that I would like to investigate: how would Dvorak do for me? The trouble with learning a new layout is that it will probably cost you a week - perhaps 2 - to come to a basic understanding of the layout. During that time it is like being mute when trying to type, very frustrating.

Well, not a whole lot of extra information, but then again, an update from someone who thinks using Colemak has had a good influence in productivity and working style.

Congratulations! Sounds like you've had a smooth sailing and got to a good place.

How would Dvorak do for you? I can only say how I felt:
    - It's about as ergonomical (and fast?) as Colemak
    - It caused me more trouble to switch between Dvorak and QWERTY than between Colemak and QWERTY during the day
    - I disliked some placements in Dvorak (the famous 'ls -l' for instance, and more national-specific issues)
    - I missed the shortcut keys in Dvorak: The worst was how both V and W were a bit off to the side and next to each other. So instead of pasting into my browser window I'd sometimes end up closing it inadvertently!

In terms of "efficiency" (whatever that is) I feel that the two are on par with each other. I'm sure different users will find different things to be annoyed about, so it's no given in that department. I think that Colemak has a very elegant design and once I switched to it I never looked back to Dvorak.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I too find Dvorak and Colemak to be similar in comfort. Perhaps Dvorak flows a smidgen better, but on the other hand has some awkward placements (I don't like the f and the l). Colemak has the shortcut advantage. If you like Colemak, I don't see any reason for switching (and vice versa).

I typed Dvorak at 90+WPM a couple years ago, but have now switched permanently to Colemak, at a similar speed. If you've already learned Colemak, I see no good reason to switch. Like others mentioned, the weird placement of L can be bothersome.

you could have tried swapping the C and L keys. (Well, it worked for me, anyway.) :)