• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • weight-bearing exercises to build typing muscles?

weight-bearing exercises to build typing muscles?

• Started by ds26gte
    • 1 Replies:

Are there any weight-bearing  (high resistance, low rep)  exercises that one could do for typing?   Would getting a hand gripper (e.g., Captains of Crush, or HeavyGrips, i.e., of higher quality and resistance levels than the ones in supermarkets) be enough?   I don't quite know the anatomy of the hand to judge what kind of strengthening exercises would be useful specifically for typing stamina.  (I do weighted squats regularly, but they do, er, squat for my hands.)

I am currently at 71wpm on Ryan Heise's test but probably type in the low 60s when not under the gun, so I do have a workable speed.  I am mostly OK, but if I thought I would have less dread of longer typing sessions than with QWERTY, I am not there yet.  I feel moderate finger pains (ring fingers mostly) after only a few paragraphs, and I'd like to have more stamina.  Perhaps it is my general hand strength and health that is the sticking point.   

The strength I seek is not necessarily to increase my typing speed -- I'd like to be able to type longer periods instead of losing my flow because of discomfort.   This would be of great help in rapid speech-writing where I'm trying to flesh out a topic and maybe explore detours if only to delete them later, where any bit of tiredness or ache tends to make me shirk the work, even though I am very interested, thus making for a poor speech.  (I am not a professional speech-writer or speaker, so cannot do whatever full-time practitioners do to alleviate the problem.)  Typing slower (not that 71 is outrageously fast) doesn't seem to help.

Coding, an activity that is relatively more prosaic than prose writing, I find ok, perhaps because of my extensive use of "completions", an option not available to prose, even of the non-creative kind that I deal in.

It's probably not really strength/muscles you're after, but technique. Doing more with less muscle memory conflict, more fluently and precisely. Tension, not fatigue, is probably causing you pain. That is, the pain stems from poor circulation too - but you'll want circulatory exercises more than strenghtening exercises for that. I think your high res low rep approach would be the opposite of what you're really after which is low res high rep and a combo of different muscles all the way up to the shoulders.

If you want to train fingers, you should also train all of the arm. If you're still looking for strength, swimming and climbing would be excellent, and many forms of martial arts as well. The latter could also train you in focus and relaxation which could be useful both for typing and other things.

I find that my piano training made my fingers and hands quite strong. But I still type at only 65 WPM; not because I feel pain in my fingers or wrists but because I haven't trained my muscle memory well enough for typing. If you want to pick up typing speed, I'd really recommend just training typing!

Last edited by DreymaR (30-Apr-2008 17:41:33)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • weight-bearing exercises to build typing muscles?