• You are not logged in.

Longer words halve my typing speed!

• Started by simonh
    • 5 Replies:

Hi all. I'm now typing at a consistent 40wpm according to hi-games.net. I decided to make my own lesson for typefaster to practice longer words. This is my list:

zoology progress embankment hospital crazyness boing keyboard maisy entrenched going next mackerel today apologise quizzes wombat looking broadness throughout boulevard painter appartment uglyness obnoxious driving jesuit krautrock involving margerine saxophone regarding radiator compactness hardy frownings military

my speed for these words is a measly 22wpm! I've tried about ten times and can't get any faster. Is this normal?

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

• Shai
    • Administrator

You need to compare apples to apples. A better measure for typing speed is characters per minute and not words per minute.

Oh right. So does Typefaster count each of those as a word? I read on wikipedia that a word is classed a five characters (for word per minute calculations). I just assumed that Typefaster would add all characters together and divide by five. If it doesn't that could be considered a bug don't you think?

Edit: It explains the low score, so thanks for that, Shai

Edit 2: From Wikipedia:

"Words per minute, commonly abbreviated wpm, is a measure of input or output speed.

For the purposes of WPM measurement a word is standardized to five characters or keystrokes. So, "zebra" counts as one word, but "rhinoceros" counts as two.

The benefits of a standardized measurement of input speed are that it enables comparison across language and hardware boundaries. The speed of an Afrikaans-speaking operator in Cape Town can be compared with a Dutch-speaking operator in Brussels."

Last edited by simonh (11-May-2008 14:42:49)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

simonh said:

obnoxious driving jesuit krautrock involving margerine saxophone

Okay, that made me laugh. Hard. I have no idea what it sounds like and I do not want to know.  :o

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

must be a subconscious thing. apologies to anyone insulted! I tried make it random.

You can probably type short words faster because spaces are very fast?