• You are not logged in.

What to do with a broken keyboard

• Started by giom
    • 3 Replies:

First off Shai, thanks a lot for your work... Colemak seems like a well thought out layout and I'm eager to try it...

My trusty laptop has three keys missing corresponding to keys T V M on the colemak layout...

Where should those key be placed

I was thinking shifting my left side home row key to include the caps lock ( so caps lock would be A, A would become R and so on) but it would mean that accessing D would mean stretching my finger...

I then thought about using one of the special japanese key (between space and alt) for V and then move M to ,

V shouldn't be too much of a problem given it's relatively low frequency in english.... What annoys me the most is to lose a key in the middle of the home row....

What do you think? Is there any better way to handle the situation? I use my laptop for about 30% of my time using  computers....

Last edited by giom (27-Aug-2006 08:54:27)
    • Shai
    • Administrator

Any workaround is going to be _really_ awkward, moreover, you'll have to get used to typing in a weird way, and it won't be very ergonomic. I suggest:
    * Replace your laptop keyboard. Most laptop keyboards cost about 50 USD.
    * Get a cheap external keyboard and connect that to your laptop (maybe a wireless one).

I tried a bit with an external keyboard but I end up having a bad angle for watching the screen.... and well getting a new keyboard for my laptop is difficult because the laptop is 4 years old....

Anyway I'll try again with an external keyboard and try to find a not too awkward layout for when I'm using the computer outside....

• Shai
    • Administrator

I really don't think it's going to be that difficult to find one. Try calling your laptop support center or looking on eBay/Froogle.