• You are not logged in.

Moved: A Cmk ligature/logo

• Started by DreymaR
  • 45 Replies:

What about "Col" since the lowercase L is only very thin?

Otherwise I find "Co" the clearest abbreviation.

Is that 'Col' as in 'Colon' or as in 'Colonel'? Let's hope it's just 'Column' or simply the latin 'col'.  ;)

Apart from the wealth of associations, I agree that it'd look nice.

Guess it really is just me with the 'Co' antipathy...

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Aug-2009 12:28:27)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
  • Administrator

I think just C in a unique way would be best for the small 16x16 icon.

Maybe you're right Shai. Any particular ideas?

Yet another go:
Co-icons.gif

[#1:] Trying the old 'dotted C' shtick since any big fat 'C' almost screams for a little something in the middle, I ended up with something that with goodwill may even give a faint association to 'Co' (and to a button of some kind?) and I kinda like it. I used a 90 degree gap in the 'C', so it's very geometric which I like. Might that be something to work from?

One idea would be to make the middle of the dot darker again to promote the 'o' association even further, but the resolution can't support that and I think it'd get messy fast. How fat the middle dot should be is a good question but I think that it should have some weight.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Oct-2009 14:37:55)

What about the letter C on a small 3D key?  (like the images from your keyboard graphics topic)

It's been tried before with severely limited success. The actual key size on a 72 dpi screen is 54 pixels wide, which is a fair bit more than the 16 pixels we're discussing here. On the small icon I fear it'd become cramped and too stylized to convey the idea properly.

Also, keys with something on them may be a bit overdone already - even if nothing would fit better thematically in this case.

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Aug-2009 08:22:52)

I've been trying the new dot-in-C icon a bit, and in my opinion it works. But it doesn't say 'Colemak' as clearly as the 'Cmk' one did I think.

What do you think, Shai?

• Shai
  • Administrator

I like better the dot in C version, although I'm not sure it's quite there yet.

I think the dot in C version is pretty sexy. In fact, I'm using it for my AutoHotkey icon now.

The only problem is that it's not very recognisable as "Co".

Tomlu, thanks - and I agree: Looks nice, but it doesn't say 'Co' too clearly. The problem is that if it does, I find it hard to maintain graphical power.

Shai: Any suggestions then? Anything more fancy with the colors? Making the dot bigger? Or something else entirely?

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Sep-2009 11:11:26)

Okay, here's another try then:

Co-icons.gif

[#2:] Opening the dot to resemble an 'o' while keeping the symbols heavy can only be done by moving the dot away from the center. Doing so, I discovered this interesting squiggle. Almost resembles a Singalese glyph or something! To me, it does say 'Co', is graphically interesting and possible to use even at the lowest resolution. What do you think?

The top of the 'C' might hang a bit more over the 'o', but they tend to touch then which spoils it.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Oct-2009 14:38:40)

I like the concept of #7, although I think it could easily be seen as a number "6" or a ying-yang logo as well.
Could you make a non (or less) bold version of it?  I think it will then suffer less from these problems.

A yin-yang symbol isn't the worst that could befall us. I don't think it looks much like a '6' myself, but I may be a bit "designer blind".

I feel that the boldness is necessary; Fortune favours it as you know.... I also feel that it won't have to be completely without possibilities for misinterpretation if it gives the right connotation with use. I may have to try it out for a while.

Co-icons.gif

[#3:] Here's a slightly leaner version. Is that better, you think? I'll try out the fatter one in my system tray for now.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Oct-2009 12:38:13)

Haha! Well, the Belgian lottery logo does remind me of the Yin-Yang... Belgians are almost as crazy as us Norwegians. (Bet you'll be insulted by the 'almost'.)  ;)

Now I know what made it look so familiar to me; it's not yin-yang, but the logo of the Belgian national lottery! :-)  (rotated slightly)  But that of course shouldn't hold you from making a Colemak logo of it. :-)

Btw yes I like the "leaner" version (a little) better.  It makes it a bit more obvious that it's actually two distinct but overlapping letters, rather than one figure.

Edit: sorry, I deleted my post and re-posted it, but you replied in the middle of that. :-)

Last edited by ghen (15-Oct-2009 15:09:38)

You're right: The squiggle does look a lot like a number 6. Better do something about that.

Co-icons.gif?dl=1

[#4-6:] I started fiddling with the yin-yang associations, and decided to use the Golden Ratio rather heavily. What do you think?
The first looks a bit like a machined tool part I think. Very geometric.
The second one may be my current favourite. Reminds me of Aubrey Beardsley and Art Noveau, with asymmetric swings. Still squiggly, but I like it.
The third one is a less geometric 'C', and maybe the clearest one when it comes to separating 'C' from 'o'?

I'm still experimenting, and trying to let impressions sink in.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Mar-2019 15:02:39)

I like where you're going. :-)  The last two look somewhat calligraphic which is nice!  I'd pick the last one.

#7: I went even further with the 'Art Noveau' one. The risk with that is that the 'C' and 'o' part aren't clearly distinct, and the thin lines may get too thin for a 16x16 design; if I were making it for higher resolutions the contrast between the thinnest and thickest lines would be even more dramatic I think. I'm still intrigued by the graphical qualities of it, but maybe the #6-type is safer after all. Unless...

#8: A separating line makes the point clearer, but maybe it loses a bit of the elegance and the bottom arm of the 'C' now seems to flow into nowhere? I made the bottom part even thicker now that it has that separator - maybe that's interesting. Not sure it works in the tray though. [Looking at it, there are interesting associations to be made:  "Yellow Submarine" slash "Jefferson Airplane" slash "Aubrey Beardsley"....]

#9: Keeping the ball rolling on the more symmetric #6-version, I made the letters even more font-like. Looks nice in the tray. The top dot on the 'C' didn't take well to being as narrow as the lower one, but the symmetry should be sufficient nevertheless.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Oct-2009 11:12:12)

MY immediate gut reaction is the last one too.  I like the last one. That gets my vote.  Very nice job!

Ooo, this is intrigueing!

Colemak-icon64_c4.png?dl=1      Colemak-icon64_b6.png?dl=1

The 'Art Noveau' design is brave, fun and artistic but may be too much of a stretch? And it probably looks better in larger sizes than at 16*16 pixels.  :(

The 'font' one works very well in the tray, and wins the vote of the (two, so far) people. I'd like to hear even more opinions. Shai?

Come to think of it, the 'font' design still looks a bit like a steampunky tool of sorts. "Colemak - a powerful addition to your lifehacking toolbox!"  ;D

[Update: I've used both these icons in different Windows trays for nearly a week now. Both are nice, and I think I love them equally by now. Still fishing for opinions, in other words!]

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Mar-2019 15:00:56)

Hmmm... I asked for more feedback but never got it. Meanwhile, I've been using both the above designs myself: The right-hand one for my more standard Colemak install, and the left-hand one for more experimental versions such as the Wide mod in PKL. I still like them a lot, both of them, and consider them fairly stable by now.

I'm going to be audacious and ask directly: Do you think the "classic" (right-hand) 'Co' icon merits a place on the site? I think it looks a good deal nicer than the 'Co' icon the site currently uses, but of course I would think that since I made it... If it doesn't make it to the top tier (yet), what would make it better?

During the course of the development, Shai said he liked the dot-in-C version but it wasn't there yet. I think the latest 'Co' designs are better, and ran out of ideas that worked for the dot-in-C... except that when the dot got moved around it led to the new ones! Any other takes on that?

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Mar-2010 11:31:13)