• You are not logged in.

Colemak full layout

• Started by Rockwolf
    • 1 Replies:

Thank you for colemak and the portable keyboard program (I have no admin privs at work)!

AZERTY is a terrible layout, yet I was forced to use it at work.

I had used qwerty for a long time after which I switched to dvorak, but I was never able to touch type until now.

I use the cold turkey approach and its progressing well.

I am also convinced that this layout will become more popular than dvorak, if this is not already the case.

To give something back:

Here's what colemak looks like on azerty:
    colemak_azerty.jpg
    (created with The Gimp)

The big return-key is still annoying and I don't like the extra key on the left, but our corporate world can not even be persuaded to use
    qwerty... at least this setup makes it bearable for me. ^^

Here is the full colemak layout:
    colemak_full.jpg
    (created with The Gimp)

Greetings.
    Rockwolf

Last edited by Rockwolf (02-Jul-2008 15:04:59)

Nice! Could you post those as vector graphics (ideally the SVG format)?

AZERTY is a layout, so that's not what I think you mean? I suppose you mean that this is on a 102-key (or 105-key) european board. Personally I'm a huge fan of the extra VK_102 key, but I can imagine that someone who's used to hitting Shift at that very spot will be annoyed.

I got a keyboard that divided the Backspace into two. I loved that. Then it occurred to me that it had also removed a key around the Enter and I started hating it instead.  :)  I can always think up something nice to do with extra keys; the downside is that I want to remain fairly consistent with other boards so that severely limits the potential.

Actually... on a Windows computer you could registry remap your keyboard so that the VK_102 becomes a left shift. It could be done at the computer level or at the user level. Then, you could choose whether to keep the current left Shift as it is or to map that one over to something else. If there are two left Shift filling up the exact space that the one left Shift on a US keyboard takes, the annoyance should subside I hope. Interested?

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Jul-2008 09:36:41)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***