• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Can't install KTouch keyboard files on Ubuntu 8.04

Can't install KTouch keyboard files on Ubuntu 8.04

• Started by ezuk
    • 7 Replies:

Hello,

I've switched the layout on my gf's computer to Colemak. That was easy.

I've installed KTouch. Nice program, works well.

I put the files from the Colemak archive into the KTouch folder with all the layouts (which was a different folder than the one shown on the wiki). I could open the Colemak keyboard for editing, and the Colemak "lecture" showed up in the menu.

But the Colemak layout was not shown on the layout menu, and there was no way for me to activate it. :( I tried all sorts of tricks but can't get it to work.

Help?

Resolved.

The problem was that for some reason, the archive on the Colemak website does not include a keyboard XML file. I figured out how to generate the file from within KTouch (based on the Colemak layout file provided on the website), put it in the right location, and voila.

(I'm leaving this here for the benefit of anyone else who might have such a problem in the future)

Last edited by ezuk (15-Jul-2008 12:23:10)

Although the above instructions worked, they were not very specific.
    Here are my steps (on ubuntu 8.10 intrepid):
    1) copy the colemak ktouch files to the colemac apps folder. on my computer it is:
    /usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch
    2) open ktouch, File -> Edit keyboard Layout
    3) open keyboard file, choose colemak.keyboard
    4) now we need to save colemak.keyboard.xml in /usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch
        but since I don't run ktouch a root, I saved it as /tmp/colemak.keyboard.xml
        and then sudo cp /tmp/colemak.keyboard.xml /usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch
    5) restart ktouch, and if you look carefully you'll find colemak keyboard layout
       (Settings -> Keyboard Layouts)
    6) open the colemak lecture:
      Training -> Default Lectures -> Colemak

--
    regards
    Marius Kruger
    http://amanica.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much for this  x)

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread with this, and I probably should be bugging the ktouch ppl anyway, but I'm having a small problem with ktouch version 1.7.1 and was hoping someone here had a workaround.

The version of ktouch I have supports colemak (has the lessons and the keyboard layout) but when typing it tells me to hit the wrong keys.  Like if i need to type an "r" it will tell me to go to the top row where it is on a qwerty keyboard instead of on the home row like on colemak.

I know this is a horrible description, but does anyone know what I mean?  And if so is there a fix for it?

I have the same problem as theonewho. Default install from the Ubuntu 10.10 repos (still ktouch 1.7.1). Does anyone know a way around this?

I recommend using klavaro - which I prefer.  Give it a go.

You'll need to tell it to set up colemak under the main-menu>keyboard>USA>colemak

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Typefaster might be an alternative - try it with Wine.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Can't install KTouch keyboard files on Ubuntu 8.04