• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Ctrl+<key> and Win+<key> still follow QWERTY mappings :(

Ctrl+<key> and Win+<key> still follow QWERTY mappings :(

• Started by ezuk
    • 14 Replies:

Hello,

The QWERTY "U" key is remapped on my system to L (using MS Keyboard Layout Editor).

Despite this fact, when I hit this key with CTRL pressed, it sends Ctrl+U. So in Word, for example, it underlines the selected text instead of left-aligning it.

And to lock my workstation, I now need to hit Win+I, and not Win+L, because the I now sits on the key that used to be L. So... why can't I hit Win+L using the L's new location? Why doesn't it work?

The same is true for the other keys I remapped. This is bad, because it forces me to keep remembering their QWERTY positions every time I try to hit a Ctrl or Win shortcut.

Help?

Some programs look at the characters produced, but others look at the virtual key codes. You need to change the latter as well. If you use the sanctioned installer this will all have been done for you.

tomlu said:

Some programs look at the characters produced, but others look at the virtual key codes. You need to change the latter as well. If you use the sanctioned installer this will all have been done for you.

There's no sanctioned installer for my particular system. I use DreymaR's graudated Tarmac learning system (with great results so far, btw).

I had to implement it myself because I'm the first one to use it. I know I did something wrong -- but I don't know what. I just produced PKL files using the MS Keyboard Layout Editor and then installed them.

Could you point me toward some source about changing the virtual key codes? I'm using Vista (with Admin priviliges on my account).

Thanks for your help!

At a glance it seems you cannot change those using the Microsoft tool, which renders it a bit useless. I personally use Keyboard Layout Manager, which is not free. You may be able to use autohotkey, I believe it resends the key as if pressed by the user.

tomlu said:

I personally use Keyboard Layout Manager, which is not free.

I went and got KLM. They have a free Lite edition which is enough for me, because I don't need AltGr and things like that.

I edited my layout, but could not figure out how to fix this problem. I clicked the "Resolve VKs" button, and it said they've been resolved.

I saved and restarted (because I was editing the default layout), but it didn't fix the problem.

What should I do to fix the VKs so L is _really_ L, for example?

Thanks!

That should have done it. My first guess is that something went wrong in the process, i.e. you did not successfully remap the virtual key codes or are not actually using the layout that you created in KLM. Do you have any way of listening to the virtual key codes of your input? If you are a programmer, you can easily enough trap them yourself. Otherwise, I believe there are programs for that purpose.

• Shai
    • Administrator

There's no way to change the VK directly through MSKLC. In order to change the VKs, save the KLC file, and edit them manually in a text editor.

Shai said:

There's no way to change the VK directly through MSKLC. In order to change the VKs, save the KLC file, and edit them manually in a text editor.

Thanks Shai - that clears that up. I will try locating the correct VK codes using existing KLC files. If there's a good VK table online, would be great if you could send me a link to it (I googled and came up with a lot of nothing).

• Shai
    • Administrator

You can take a look at the Colemak KLC files in the Colemak Windows download. The VK is the second column.

Resolved!

Thanks Shai! It turned out to be quite simple, and works like a charm! I made the change, re-installed, rebooted, and voila. :)

The layout finally feels "real" and solid. I appreciate your help.

Will post corrected KLC on Tarmac thread.

This helped me a lot! Thank you! I still have questions though:

I want the ' key, beside O, to act as the Enter/Return key when pressed without a modifier. But I want to type a % when pressing it with AltGr. You see, I'm using my Caps Lock as AltGr, with all the non-letter symbols on AltGr + letters, but there are too few keys that I can comfortably press if I can't make the ' key have this double meaning. Can this be done, or is Enter/Return special in a way that makes it impossible?

I'm using MSKLC on Windows + editing the .klc file, so if the solution could be described in terms of that, that would be great.

Last edited by tufflax (17-Apr-2011 14:54:26)

Check out the program called KeyTweak. It's free and you can just google it. I believe you can do what you want with it.

Last edited by pafkata90 (17-Apr-2011 14:12:46)

Thanks! But I might wanna be able to swap between qwerty and colemak, at least for now.

Last edited by tufflax (17-Apr-2011 17:56:20)

In that case, I don't know. I don't think you can set keys like Enter to be layout specific, but then again - it's not unlikely that I'm wrong.

I think that's impossible. By editing the .klc file manually you could make the apostrophe key a Return but then that's what it'd be. I don't think you can have a part glyph, part functional key like you want to.

In PKL you can, however. I use PKL quite a lot for my layout needs. It's Windows-only but that's about the only gripe I have with it (well, apart from my wish for multiple Extend mapping sets...).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Ctrl+<key> and Win+<key> still follow QWERTY mappings :(