• You are not logged in.

Top part of colemak.com homepage

• Started by user-jon
    • 2 Replies:

Hi - the Advocate page asks for improvements to the site.. so for what it's worth I figured I'd throw this idea out for consideration.
    The top part of your homepage is the most important part to make an instant impact and get your essential message across to the visitor - hopefully making sure they are intrigued and willing to investigate further. Needs to be clean, stylish and succinct, rather than overbearing paragraphs of boring looking text -- and blow your own trumpet ("because you're worth it").
    I'd suggest having the homepage as a separate page outside the wiki so you could miss out/move the navigation bar, and have different (more and colorful) images/background. The nav-bar and even the strip across the top (containing 'log in'), wastes some of your "most valuable real-estate". :)
    Basically, you can't go wrong by following the firefox/thunderbird homepages.. they made dramatic improvements to their homepage style and content when firefox 2 came out. I haven't spent long on the wording below.. just wanted to start a discussion.
    Cheers, Jon.
    (ps. the top 2 lines would be in bigger fonts)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Colemak Keyboard                                    Install on Windows
    Small change. Big improvement.                    Install on Mac
                                                                       Install on Linux
    Can moving just a few keys on your keyboard
    really make typing that much better?

Learn more... then try it out on your existing Qwerty keyboard... it's 100% free.

What's so great about it?
    * Big improvement over the ancient Qwerty layout.
    * Ergonomic and comfortable.
    * Type faster.
    * Easy to learn in 12 short lessons.
    * Multilingual (usable in over 40 languages).
    * Simple to install.
    * 100% free (you don't have to buy a new keyboard).

Experience Colemak's benefits over Qwerty... you'll never look back!

The Layout
    (hi-quality photo of real keyboard would make a big difference -- *see* what they're reading about :) )

Introduction
    blah blah ...

Learn More
    blah blah ...

News
    blah blah ...

Last edited by user-jon (03-Aug-2008 21:27:27)

I agree that it needs a little advertisement at the top, and the picture should be moved to the top.

while we are at it....

I would say drop the first two sentences of the Introduction section.  It's an unnecessary history lesson.
    Take the last 4 sentences introduction and make them the beginning of the Advantages section.

Then rearrange sections like this :

put the Layout picture at the top followed by
        Advantages
        Learn More
        News

Last edited by keyboard samurai (01-Aug-2008 23:04:33)