• You are not logged in.

Starting out with Colemak + Kinesis

• Started by tantrix
    • 4 Replies:

Hi all,

After a couple of dabbles with Dvorak in earlier times in my life I've never got particularly far with it: the old story of a fast qwerty typist needing to type all day, every day. However last week I swallowed the propaganda* in dvzine.org (we have some paper copies in the office) and committed to having a go again. I found out about Colemak  through the Master Key typing tutor while doing Dvorak and managed to convince myself it'd be better mostly based on the quality of Shai's posts; the preservation of some keys notably the zxcv's; and fear of "ls -l" annoying me in Dvorak (I'm a unix sysadmin...).

(*I mean this in the nicest and most complimentary way! It's really well put together, and a great alt-keyboard advocacy tool.)

So, the questionnaire:

* What layout you've been using beforehand, and how long you've been typing with it

Qwerty since I was 10 (I'm 34 now), learnt to touch type when I was about 18 during a dull summer job doing data entry. I never really tested myself 'til I found Typeracer a couple of weeks ago that I used (very successfully) to re-train myself on the Kinesis keyboard. My average there is about 90wpm peaking over 100wpm--I had to do their "are you _really_ typing that fast?!" CAPTCHA test :-)

* How long you've been using Colemak for, and how many estimated hours per week you've typed with it.

Since this week, logged about 2-3h, so total newb still. I'm on the home row plus h and f (I have no idea why they do it in that order; ideas?) I've spent far longer than 2-3h reading about it though, the price/reward of being a geek...

* Mention the methods you used to learn the layout.

Master Key during the day and evenings. I realize this will take longer but I have a heavy typing workload and can't afford the "cold turkey" method, sadly. Ryan Heise's 5-10mins qwerty in the mornings is what I'll be aiming for, since qwerty is still going to be useful, I'm sure.

* What operating system you're using.

Mac OS X.

* If you mention typing speed, mention what way you used to measure it. Use one of the typing tests to measure it.

Typeracer says my last average (over ten races i think) is 90wpm.

* Share any tips about learning the layout.

I'm too new for now, although am hesitant to recommend Master Key with their not-awesome drills. Nice engine, weak data.

One thing I'd say though: drop the $$$ on a Kinesis. It really kicks ass. $300 is obviously a lot for a keyboard but hey, how much time do you spend on it? And you get around that staggered left side issue, and potential meddling with the bottom left row

Paul

dvzine stuff is funny.  and we are called fanboys. hmmm.     that Typeracer is kinda of fun.  I just won a couple of races!  :-)

best of luck.

Welcome, and best of luck!

The meddling with the bottom left row, albeit nowhere near the coolness of a proper non-staggered keyboard, is actually not bad - given that you have a VK_102 "European" key instead of abusing the CapsLock for Z. I use it, and I cannot afford to buy a Kinesis for every board I use throughout my workday.  ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I use Colemak exclusively on my Kinesis now (used to be Arensito). On a normal keyboard I still occasionally use QWERTY to keep myself bilingual (ha). I definitely like it, but I did a few Arensito-ish things to it like swapping Space and Backspace, putting Shift on the left thumb, moving the arrow keys, and putting "[" and "]" on the left and right shift keys. Fine, I'm just weird, but it works for me. :-)

Glad you are enjoying it!

Since you're using a Mac, I think you should check out aTypeTrainer4Mac. It gives you gibberish to type, but it's still pretty nice.

Check out http://hi-games.net/typing-test/ , it's the best typing test around.