• You are not logged in.

Colemak Progress

• Started by SaIva
    • 2 Replies:

I'm a few hours into dabbling with colemak using the TypeFaster program under WinXP. I became interested when I was reading an article about dvorak and saw colemak mentioned and thought I'd give it a try... so far it's been good, but very frustrating - this was to be expected though.

I've never tried anything outside of qwerty before and I'm not the greatest typist in the world to begin with, I can sustain no more than 65 wpm with qwerty for a period of an hour. Right now I'm hovering around a whopping 17 wpm with colemak but I'm hoping that improves with time.

dabbling is nice but the experience on here shows that those who consistently practice everyday typically make significant improvement quickly.   If you wish to maintain Qwerty,  look for discussions from those that have kept a high level of Qwerty while learning Colemak.

If you can sustain 65 WPM for an hour you're really quite good! It's just that there are always bigger fish.

Your 17 WPM will improve! I've done 55 WPM with QWERTY, then 60 WPM with Dvorak, then 65 WPM with Colemak. I think the most important point is how much training you get. Try to find something fun, like "reading a book with your fingers" (possible in several typing trainers) and/or playing typing games; although many of them are horrid there are some quite fun ones too.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***