• You are not logged in.

Switching to Colemak

• Started by linkmaster03
    • 5 Replies:

Should I give Colemak a shot? I've been using QWERTY for about 5-7 years and average 90-110 WPM. (pretty good accuracy, but obviously I fix errors as I go so I don't have a good figure) At an absolute MAX, 139 WPM. Would switching to Colemak benefit me in speed or accuracy? I am also forced to type QWERTY at school for keyboarding class... I would like to maintain good speed, but the only requirement in that class is 15 WPM.

Also, in learning the layout, how should I do it? I am aware there are a few programs that help you learn the method. Should I start out looking at the keys to get a little familiar? Or should I jump right into practicing the right habits and go with a program? If anyone uses Linux or knows some nice Colemak learning programs, that would be great if you could tell me what you used.

Thanks!

I learnt using TypeFaster. This is a windows program, but it worked fine for me on Linux with wine. Here is the link: https://colemak.com/TypeFaster

My method was to learn using the lessons provided on this site. Learn by looking at the on-screen layout, never look at the keys. As I remember, I'd completed the lessons in a few days. After that I simply used Colemak all the time. I was a QWERTY typist for about 18 years. I don't miss it at all!

As for the speed issue, some people are able to reach 100wpm+ in a month, others don't get anywhere near their QWERTY speed after several months. There is no way of determining what you speed will be.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

You should also try out KTouch, part of the kdeedu module in KDE.  I'm learning Colemak right now (started a couple of days ago) coming from Dvorak, and KTouch is helping a lot.  There are KTouch lessons you can download at this site.

Thanks simonh and jrick for the recommendations! I got KTouch and will try that out first.

If you're a fast qwerty typist already it'll likely take you quite a while to match your original speed, and you probably won't see more than a small improvement. The people who get the greatest benefit out of Colemak are people who never managed to get the hang of qwerty and just hunt-and-peck on it.

I'd also strongly recommend you get a split ergonomic keyboard if you can. I personally find Colemak isn't well suited to traditional flat keyboards, but it does work well with ergonomic ones. The Microsoft Natural 4000 is my weapon of choice in this particular area.

As far as learning is concerned, don't try to go cold turkey from the word go. Just do an hour or two on Colemak in the evenings until you get fast enough at it to be able to use it at school/work without hindering your productivity. And try to remain ambikeyboardrous as far as possible -- the two layouts exercise different muscles in different ways, and I find that alternating between them is more comfortable in the long term than using either one in isolation.

I agree with the last point. It's still very much a QWERTY world, and you're guaranteed to end up typing on one from time to time, so try and keep your skills up.  It's a little tricky to use two different layouts, but not not actually that difficult. It's like driving both stick and automatic -- you occasionally kick the floor where the clutch should be, but that's all.