• You are not logged in.

Colemak log of progress.

• Started by linkmaster03
    • 10 Replies:

I am making the switch to Colemak from QWERTY. I set up one of my computers on Dvorak but it didn't appeal to me that the familiar keyboard shortcuts were all over the place, and I couldn't close a tab with one hand, or similar. I average 90-110 WPM on QWERTY, and have been typing it for 5-7 years. My goal is to get over 30 WPM in the first week of Colemak. I am going to be using the KTouch tutor.

Just finished setting up some shortcuts, Control+Alt+C to switch to Colemak, Control+Alt+Q for QWERTY, and now I'm going to start training.

Try to aim for accuracy at the beginning, rather than speed. The speed will come on it's own. And good luck.

Thanks Korivak, KTouch forces me to get good accuracy to pass anyways. :D

Well yesterday I learned some of the home row. r, s, t, n, e, and i.

Yes, it's really a mistake to have a speed goal.   Go slow and hit the right key every time with rhythm.  Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy... don't force yourself to unlearn mistakes.

OK, my new goal is to know where all the keys are by the end of the week.

I've got the entire home row memorized. Also on hi-games I did a hunt and peck test with Colemak for fun and I got 27 WPM. I'm going to practice and get the home row down so I don't have to think about it as much when I'm focusing on the other rows.

I didn't have time to practice. I'll probably continue next week.

Last edited by linkmaster03 (04-Oct-2008 01:18:48)

Surprisingly even if you stop for a while it will not vanish from your memory.

Yeah, it's still on my basement computer. I use it at night sometimes, maybe like 2-5 hours on it a week. I'm changing my laptop keys to Colemak, as it is not unbelievably slow anymore to type. Theoretically I should learn the placements instead of looking at the board, but how I learned to type QWERTY at 100-120 WPM was by looking and finding my own techniques. I always have Qwerty at easy reach though (Ctrl+Alt+Q) if I need to type something long, fast. I hope to maintain QWERTY typing speeds, which I think I can manage, as I take keyboarding classes at school. (faster than my teacher, lol, with those wood covers)

Last edited by linkmaster03 (15-Nov-2008 05:03:35)

Qwerty is not so bad at all, if it was certainly dr Dvorak would succeed in his mission.

I can also do an easy fast typing on qwerty, but I cannot hold it long without looking at the keyboard because some weird "optimisation" or call it "non-standard fingering" put me off the home position. Feeling where the home row is all the time (or where all the keys are) is marvelous experience on Colemak or Dvorak.

Yeah, sometimes I have trouble with losing the home row on QWERTY, but it is a lot more rare now. I did a test on hi-games for fun, and I got 38 WPM.

Last edited by linkmaster03 (15-Nov-2008 16:57:53)