• You are not logged in.

Another experience (Some slight dvorak history)

• Started by jdhaines
    • 6 Replies:

I'm keeping track of my switch via my blog, although I'm not a normal blogger.  It is pretty new, and the main site isn't done yet.  Either way, here is the link

http://joshhaines.com/blog/archives/58

I'm on Day 9 right now.  Qwerty down to 101, Colemak up to 27
    Most of the top stuff you guys can skip over.  I'll keep it updated as I make the switch.  I may update this on occasion if something comes up that is more beneficial to the local Colemak "nerds". (<- per my wife :)

Last edited by jdhaines (03-Oct-2008 04:10:17)

Nice to see another user. I'll be following your blog with interest. By the way, How long did it take to reach that speed using QWERTY?

Quote from your blog: "I almost never actually think in terms of letters, but more in terms of “finger shapes” to words."

Have you ever tried this site: http://keybr.com? Rather than just words, this also generates random sequences of letters. It may be interesting to see what your speed is compared to real words.

Last edited by simonh (03-Oct-2008 12:11:47)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

I'm 23 now, and have been a bit of a computer geek since college.  I would say.....15 years of typing, maybe 6-7 of serious typing?  I did benefit, I feel, from the fact that I have always touch typed.  I listened during typing class in 3rd grade that touch typing was the best.  Even to this day, I don't type one (non number) character until all 8 fingers hit the home row.  Even if I'm just typing "yes". 

Another strange thing is that my elbows are always out to the sides which, with my wrists straight, makes my fingers hit the home row at an angle similar to      \--------/.  I have gotten used to this angle and thought it was how everyone typed.  It was only recently that I saw pictures and learned that some people have their arms like mine, but cock their wrists to that their fingers are addressing the keyboard perpendicular to the home row.  While on the home row, my index fingers are almost fully extended and my fingers are more bent toward my pinky which is bent pretty far to stay on the outer keys.  This really only is a drawback for the letter "Y" or now "J" since I actually have to more my whole arm slightly to reach it.  I feel like my way is better, although I only started doing it because it was more comfortable - not knowing that it should reduce and RSI or CTS later on.

As far as "keybr.com"  that will be a great test.  I imagine I'll still be quick, but I don't think I'll be nearly as fast if I can't burst through words.  It's blocked from my corporate IT firewall of death, but I'll give it a shot when I get to another computer, and report back.

Cool blog. I'll be watching it. Keeping up your QWERTY is a good idea, I think. I lost mine for a short time but got it back with a minor amount of practice (I used it when playing StarCraft so the hotkeys wouldn't move). Happy keyboarding!

<offtopic>mmm Starcraft.....It's probably been 7 years.</offtopic>

I tried www.keybr.com last night.  I was able to hover somewhere around 75-80 WPM on that site.  I guess that shows that part of my speed is due to the bursting, but not all of it.  Strange, but interesting.

jdhaines said:

Another strange thing is that my elbows are always out to the sides which, with my wrists straight, makes my fingers hit the home row at an angle similar to      \--------/.  I have gotten used to this angle and thought it was how everyone typed.  It was only recently that I saw pictures and learned that some people have their arms like mine, but cock their wrists to that their fingers are addressing the keyboard perpendicular to the home row.  While on the home row, my index fingers are almost fully extended and my fingers are more bent toward my pinky which is bent pretty far to stay on the outer keys.  This really only is a drawback for the letter "Y" or now "J" since I actually have to more my whole arm slightly to reach it.  I feel like my way is better, although I only started doing it because it was more comfortable - not knowing that it should reduce and RSI or CTS later on.

I agree with you and didn't touch type till I started Colemak, but being a martial artist and a piano player, I gravitated toward a position that keeps my wrists straight.