• You are not logged in.

DDvorak for linux...

• Started by kratos
    • 3 Replies:

Hi guys,
    Im a user of DDvorak (www.siteuri.ro/dvorak/DDvorak.aspx).
    I just moved to linux from windows and have been having a tough time implementing it for linux.
    First of all i am not able to decide how it should be implemented: xmodmap or loadkeys??
    It requires a custom deadkey (like e + a = !) and i think that would be a big problem.
    Any suggestions??
    Also see if it could be possible to find a solution that could be implemented without requiring the root password..

Thanx in advance..

Kratos.

I guess you should be at a DDvorak forum then (if one exists)? Or ask Andrej (siteuri) - he answered well enough the last time I asked him something. Not to be rude; I'm just not able to use energy on helping users from every possible layout.

One of the many things I like about Colemak is that it has an actual community and therefore support; not as much as Dvorak but certainly more than most of if not all the personal layouts have.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanx for replying DreymaR.
    DDvorak doesnt have any community support.
    Its just an idea by Andrej. He doesnt even provide an implementation for it.
    I am a linux newbie and was just hoping that the programmers here who have implemented colemak in linux could just provide me with some direction.
    Lets just hope someone comes to my help here.

I think the most straightforward way to do this is to just add a new "language" layout in the X11/xkb/symbols directory (or just add a few sections in one of the default ones).

that will allow you to create the basic layout and the AltGR+level3 layouts.

Not sure about how to assign the shortcuts and macro keys that way, tho...(you might have to use xmodmap) but it could be a start?

If you succeed in creating a complete implementation, be sure to post back.

g'luc