• You are not logged in.

my exp

• Started by woonie
    • 2 Replies:

Just want to share with my xp with you guys:

I started learning colemak in Jan (2008) when I found out that one of my friends uses this keyboard layout on his laptop. Part of my motivation to learn colemak is to be able to use his laptop (heh heh), and also as some sort of competition with another friend who also just started learning it.

Ok so, I was a little unsure about succeeding due to several failed attempts at dvorak. And also, my qwerty speed averages 90, with max speeds of 110-120+ wpm. So I decided, as I was advised, to go "cold-turkey" i.e. re-configure all keyboards I use to colemak. And also have the on-screen keyboard visible at all times, which helps a lot.

It was really bad at first, eg. typing t would result in a g (qwerty) or e (still thinking colemak is dvorak).

I can't really remember when it happened, but I was really happy when I finally reached the 70wpm mark on colemak.

----------

As for switching between qwerty and colemak,
    I find that I can switch between both layouts quite easily without much hitches. And unlike many other colemak users [that I have read on this forum and around the internet], my qwerty speed [80-95 avg] is still much faster than colemak[75-85 avg], despite having learnt it for almost 10 months already.

And, I'm still not used to using the caps lock key as my backspace. Not so instinctive to do that as of now.

Anyway, here's a shoutout to all new colemak users to persevere, strive on, and you will reap the fruits of your labour and efforts. =D

Good to hear! My guess is that your Colemak speed will creep toward (and possibly exceed) your QWERTY speed over the next two years, depending on how much you use each layout. For me, I continued to gradually gain speed even 10 months after learning a new layout. Have fun!

Last edited by ChessWhiz (11-Nov-2008 04:48:40)

I don't use the CapsLock -> Backspace anymore. Not that it isn't a great idea per se, but it's a bother to implement and leads to confusion so after the last machine reinstall I didn't reinstall it. I'm secretly hoping that I'll become more and more accurate so I hardly need the Backspace key anymore in the end.  ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***