• You are not logged in.

Hoary for Colemak! Just switched from dvorak.

• Started by Jack
    • 4 Replies:

I decided to ditch qwerty for dvorak a while ago  just because i didn't know colemak was better back then, but you wanna know the thing that finally drove me away from dvorak?

YOU HAVE TO USE 2 HANDS FOR ALL THE STUPID KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS.

Anyway, my motor skills are a bit confused from switching twice, but I've never been more comfortable then in Colemak, so thank you Mr Colman! =)

Welcome aboard!   please keep posting your experiences as you learn.  and some background as well. 
    There was a thread where many have posted, but post on the thread you started is fine too!

And Ctrl-W sits right next to Ctrl-V, so every now and then I'd close my browser instead of pasting some text into the message window. That got old fast.  :)

Welcome aboard, and I hope your stay is a pleasant one. I and several others are in the same situation as you are, and while switching to Colemak via dvorak isn't as pleasant as going straight from QWERTY must be I feel it was worth the effort. Maybe not speedwise (although I am faster than ever now, it's hard to say how fast I could've been with dvorak by now), but comfortwise and I like the geek factor too!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Haha, yeah the geek factor is good too, most people don't know what a keyboard layout is!

Macs have a cool Dvorak variation that keeps QWERTY commands. I really liked that. But yeah, Colemak takes computer shortcuts into account, while Dvorak was designed long before PCs.