• You are not logged in.

Help Me Please!

• Started by efron
    • 3 Replies:

I've been trying to install Colemak on my Windows XP PC at work, but the nasty super-pro-qwerty IT guy at my work took away my admin privileges, and I am unable to install any kind of new program, but I do have the ability to download and run programs. He thinks Colemak has viruses in it.  I have downloaded the AutoHotkey104706_Install.exe, but my PC won't let me install it.

After scouring the internet for hours, I found a program that doesn't require an install called MapKeyboard. But when I try to save my new keyboard layout, I get a message that says "Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission, contact your administrator, or use the Microsoft.NET Framework configuration tool. ------------ Requested registry access not allowed."

Is there any other way to get Colemak working on my PC?

You have my commiserations. However - you don't need to install autohotkey to run it. You can just drop a suitable ahk file straight onto a AutoHotKey executable that you could keep on a usb stick.

You could use a simple AHK script as Tomlu says, or the more elaborate PortableKeyboardLayout (by Farkas Máté, found on SourceForge) which is also written in AHK. Both can be run without install privileges. If you are allowed to save an .exe file on the disk and run it, you can put the whole PKL on the disk and link to the pkl.exe; it's fully portable so no install privileges are required. Or just use it from an external disk.

I have a PKL in a folder on my job network home area. So far, the IT department haven't complained, although they are generally quite strict. On machines I can log onto, I put a shortcut to the pkl.exe in the startup folder so every time I log on I'm using Colemak automatically. Other users are unaffected since the startup folder is per-user (and per-machine, so the first time I'm on a new machine I have to drop the shortcut into the folder). Nice!

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Jan-2009 13:44:14)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I don't know how it worked, but after trying it for the first time, the portable keyboard layout worked for me. Yay! Thanks guys! Whoohoo!