• You are not logged in.

Colemak on startup?

• Started by juice43
    • 5 Replies:

I plan to switch to Vista in a week...but I need to know how to load Colemak on startup if I won't have the driver installed. PKL is very useful for that, but I would like to know a way to hide the image displaying the layout (by default) since I already know Colemak, and the image is simply a nuisance. Or is there a way to make AutoHotKey startup using the Colemak layout already...?

Last edited by juice43 (01-Feb-2009 06:06:17)

Colemak typist

juice43 said:

PKL is very useful for that, but I would like to know a way to hide the image displaying the layout (by default) since I already know Colemak, and the image is simply a nuisance.

In pkl.ini put:

; Display a help image
    displayHelpImage = no

; Toggle on/off the help image
    ; https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Symbols
    displayHelpImageHotkey =

Loading PKL on startup is quite simple: Make a shortcut to PKL and put it in the All Programs --> Startup folder on your Start menu. (Either drag it all the way in there, or find the Startup folder on the menu, right-click and select to 'Explore' it.)

If you're on a machine that isn't yours but you'd like to have PKL ready for you, you could either do this on your user only (the Startup folder is per-user) or what I'm doing with my wife's machine: Make the 'QWERTY Extend' the default layout (the first entry in the .ini file for PKL; then a comma and the Colemak layout). I've set Win-F9 ('#F9') as the switch key, so when I get on her comp I hit Win and F9 and it's all good. At the same time, I'm trying to get her to like the cool 'extend' layout with arrow keys on CapsLock+UNEI, Enter on 'O', Esc on '[' (similar to Telnet) etc etc.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Works like a charm on my XP comp, so it should work on my Vista in a few days. Thanks ghen and Dreymar, the startup and ease of using PKL is quite useful (plus there is no image now).

Colemak typist

I just realized that PKL works perfect when using a computer with multiple people because it is a universal keyboard layout switch. It's better than the original driver on Windows because it is not per app as was default and I never got used to. I haven't noticed anything in terms of speed when it comes to the driver so thanks for all of the help with using this as a new solution.

Colemak typist

Glad we could be of help!  :)

On a side note: One of the fun features PKL acquired in the latest version (0.3) was the sleep timer! With this, you can set an idle time before the PKL falls asleep and disables all its remappings. To get them back, you can hit a hotkey (the only one still working) or click on the PKL tray icon. So if you tend to leave the common computer in a Colemak state and people get pissed off every time they start writing and get the 'alexia experience' you could set a 5 min or so idle time. If nobody types anything for 5 min, the PKL won't bother the next visitor. I've used that too. Now, if I could get the PKL to revert to 'QWERTY Extend' after 5 idle minutes instead... ah well, can't have everything I guess.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***