• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Colemak Layout with Caps Lock and Backspace swapped

Colemak Layout with Caps Lock and Backspace swapped

• Started by nestor
    • 9 Replies:

hello, i will like to know if there is any posibility to have the windows installer of colemak with the caps lock and backspace swapped, currently we have the caps lock and the backspace acting as a backspace, but i want to have the caps lock (in the backspace position).

Well, one thing that works great instead is Portable Keyboard Layout, which gives the function of Caps Lock by holding Shift + regular Caps Lock. It works great for me when I'm on internet chat rooms and it has been functioning perfect on both Vista and XP for me...should also work for 7. Dunno about a solution for Mac or Linux if that is what you use.

Colemak typist

It's very possible indeed. See http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.php for some information on how to do this. Create a registry file with the pertinent information and replace the CapsToBackspace one in the Colemak installer and you are set.

You wouldn't need to put the .reg file into an installer, even (Tomlu knows that of course - just in case someone's wondering). Just double-click the file and you'd be all set.

Remember that you can choose whether to make the .reg entry under LOCAL_MACHINE etc or CURRENT_USER. That's a handy difference. Just be aware that if you remap under CURRENT_USER I think that'll override anything in LOCAL_MACHINE when you're logged onto your user. Not quite sure, but I believe that to be the case.

I made the CapsLock move to RWin, myself. Found out that I never used RWin for anything at all. Another possibility is ScrollLock.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I, myself, currently use an AutoHotkey script that I made for typing in Colemak. It is not a permanent solution by any means and you have to turn it on every time you want to type in Colemak but I have not found it very troublesome at all(you can just open it once at the beginning of the day and suspend the script when you need to type in QWERTY - if for some reason you need to or possibly if you have family members working on your computer). I won't be downloading and actually installing Colemak any time soon as I am fairly comfortable with this script. It does exactly what you want, too, by having CapsLock act as Backspace and Backspace act as Capslock(something I wanted to make sure I had since typing sentences or words in all caps might be troublesome without it). You can check it out here(it has been converted to a .exe script similar to the one on RyanHeise.com): http://bit.ly/Colemak

A few tips:

* You can create a hotkey (like Alt+F11) in your ahk script that toggles between Colemak and Qwerty to make it even easier to switch.
    * You can autostart the ahk file automatically with your Windows logon (and have it autostart into Colemak or Qwerty as you see fit).
    * You can create a USB drive that autostarts Colemak whenever you plug it into a Windows computer.

This should make it even easier to use Colemak for you.

@tomlu: Thanks! I actually was looking into those first two but I had no idea about the last tip you mentioned. I am definitely going to look that up. Thank you very much for the information.

PKL already does the hotkey switch thing and more. I have Win+F2 to switch layout, Win+F4 to suspend it and Ctrl-Win+F4 to kill PKL for instance.

Another fun functionality is that you can set an idle time limit before it automatically suspends and/or closes itself. Handy if you're on someone else's comp and tend to forget yourself. Like Tomlu suggests, on my wife's comp I have it autostarting (by a shortcut in the Startup folder on WinXP) and I wanted to have it start up suspended but it won't do that. Instead, I start up in a VirtualKey mode so the wife just gets normal QWERTY (but still the ability to fool around with the wonderful 'extend' keys should she feel brave) and by a simple press of Win+F2 I have my own Colemak ready!

The ultimate coolness for USB drives is using a U3 drive with your (or mine, heh) own customized startup partition. That runs Colemak, Cafe, a utility or two of my own making and geek.menu right off my USB stick on any autorun-enabled computer - and no U3 menu (I didn't like it). With a little fiddling, it could be customized so that it starts PKL differently according to which comp you're plugging into; but so far
    haven't seen a real need to do that one.

PKL is undeniably great, but it's a bit hard to modify if you want to do something out of the ordinary (such as having it start in suspended mode).

If you're a coder I recommend making your own AutoHotKey file. Snapping up a basic Colemak is a breeze. Just be careful lest the inconsistent AutoHotKey language burn your eyes out and rot your brain.

The ultimate coolness for USB drives is using a U3 drive with your (or mine, heh) own customized startup partition.

I run a recompiled Colemak-optimised TaskSwitcher32 (Alt+Tab replacement) as well as FreeCommander (Explorer replacement) off a USB stick. What utilities do you use? I can't find a good hit on Cafe as it's not very googleable.

I'll pester Farkas for the start-suspended functionality eventually, but I find my workaround to be completely acceptable. Meanwhile, I still can't shake the feeling that we ought to do something even more gritty, like intercepting each WM_KEYDOWN/UP and TranslateMessage(?) call from the System, redirecting to your own layout.dll and doing it all in C*. Ah well, in due time.

Making my own AHK file is what I started with and it got fatter and fatter but then suddenly PKL came and did all that so much much better. I don't just want a barebones Colemak, but the extended modifiers(!) and Unicode and whatnot. For a layout learner, PKL even has on-screen help images like that separate app I made a while ago.

As for the USB stick, I coded an AHK script that can find which drive letter the U3 drive has and run anything from it, then made that into my U3 'CD-ROM' partition instead of the usual U3 menu. Cafe is a file associator, but it's French which may be why the angloglots have had trouble adjusting to it. Mostly, it sits quietly in the background. I modded it a bit for my own purposes. You can have it associate file endings to your portable apps, either overriding the usual associations while it's running, or with an Alt-doubleclick if you want to do it more quietly. Great for editing documents in portable GVim for instance. If you're interested, give me a holler - or if you know another good associator.

• Index
      • General
      • Colemak Layout with Caps Lock and Backspace swapped