• You are not logged in.

Cherry keyboards

• Started by bombadil
    • 4 Replies:

Sorry it is not about layout experience but the keyboard itself. I have read in some post here about the mechanical keyboards and got tempted to try one. I bought G84-4100LCMEU-2 the design looks pretty but I am not happy with it :( IMO it is a bit smaller than laptop keyboard and it causes me trouble. Anyway the keys are not so perfect - they works pleasantly only if I touch them in the middle and stright down so I have troubles with pressing all the keys not on the home row especially "corner" ones such as Y, B (qwerty). The mechanical keys seems to block if pressed on the edges and with more presure they finally move but I end with bouncing fingers hard on the keyboard.

Have anone tried this keyboard?
    I am thinking wether to buy G80-3000 but again I do not know if it would work seamlessly and which version to buy (click, soft click, linear). If it is only the noise difference I will prefer the linear - quiet.

thanks for advise

I have a G80-3000, clicky version. It's a great keyboard. The linear switches apparently use a stiffer spring which may take some getting used to. Your best bet is to register at geekhack and someone there will probably be able to advise better, as their members have more experience with quality keyboards.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Linear Cherry; are those the blue ones?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

No. The blues are click, brown are tactile and black are linear.

Many people have complained that the black switches require more force to depress (which they do as you can see below).

Here is some info from the geekhack wiki:

Range of MX switches by stem colour

Black: linear, 60cN, MX1A-1 (Cherry G80-11900, Deck 82 and Legend, DSI SMK-88, Steelseries 7G)
    Blue: click, 50cN, MX1A-E (Filco Majestouch, DAS Keyboard III, DSI Modular Mac, Ione Scorpius M10, NTC KB-6252CH)
    Brown: soft tactile (ergonomic), 45cN, MX1A-G (Compaq MX 11800, Filco Majestouch, DSI Modular Mac)
    Clear: soft tactile, 55cN, MX1A-C
    Green: click, 80cN, used for space bar in Cherry keyboards, MX1A-F
    Grey: tactile, 80cN, used for space bar in Cherry keyboards, MX1A-2 or MX1A-D (Compaq MX 11800)
    Red: linear, 45cN, MX1A-L (Cherry G80-3494, Cherry G80-3600LYC)

Last edited by simonh (08-Feb-2009 19:48:19)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Thanks a lot!